Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I am located about 80 miles north of Austin, Tx. I drive a 2007 GL 1800, premium sound, heated seats and grips with Nav and CB. Bought the scudder about 7 months ago used from a dealer with 9000 miles on her and she sits next to my 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300. I have added about 7000 miles to that plus a set of Bridgestones. Had the urge to have comfort on the trips from here to Colorado and the Goldwing sure does that. When I am on trips I activate the SPOT and some of my friends enjoy following me on the 900 mile one day trip to Colorado. Lately I have been thinking about getting a trailer to pull behind the GW. I would like to start a discussion concerning trailer types, hitch types, safety involved in towing and any hidden pitfalls related to trailers. I would appreciate any advice and all advice will be taken seriously. I am 68 and would like to keep advancing in age so safety is a prime consideration. Thanks again.
Isaac:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome from Vermont!! I hope you enjoy riding this winter!!

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Dreamweaver (I believe you can get me through the night). Sorry I couldn't help it.:eek:
It's always good to have a new rider on board. I'm glad you found the pleasures in the Wing & the GWOF. Lot's of guys tow trailers & there are really no big deals that I've heard of, however I prefer not to use a trailer. I opted for a hitch rack & bag. The following link is for the thread with pictures.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3771

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello dreamweaver, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome DreamWeaver, congrats on your wing, lots of good riding in your state.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Nice looking bike. Enjoy the site and ride safe. Nice folks on here with good info.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dreamweaver (I believe you can get me through the night). Sorry I couldn't help it.:eek:
It's always good to have a new rider on board. I'm glad you found the pleasures in the Wing & the GWOF. Lot's of guys tow trailers & there are really no big deals that I've heard of, however I prefer not to use a trailer. I opted for a hitch rack & bag. The following link is for the thread with pictures.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3771
Thanks Fossil92 for the welcome. Yep, always one of my most favorite songs. My ranch is the Dream Weaver Ranch also. That is a nice set-up you have. I have seen a few pictures of bikes with that arrangement but none on the road. I guess my worries about that would be damage caused by pot holes. We have some roads round here that are so full of deep pot holes you can't dodge them all. I know the trailer would have to face the same hazards and yours is certainly an option to a trailer and probably a lot less in cost.
Have you had any complaints from the LAW concerning the covered up license plate?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from Down Under. Eric
Thanks Eric
Hope your safe down there with all that flooding and flushed out snakes and croc-a-gaters. One of these days I may get down there for a visit. If I do, I'll look ya up and we'll go down a few Fosters. I like it but its too expensive up here. Whats the price of push-water (gas) round there? Its around $2.80 USD per gallon here. Thanks again
Isaac

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dreamweaver.
Having ridden in Texas, I would at least put the cooler rack on the wing. I've ridden several thousand miles with the cooler rack even got stopped going into Lovell, Wyoming a few years back, (my bad, excessive speed) the officer never mentioned the rack covering the plate.
We also have a pop up tent trailer ( Kwik kamp) we pull and a small cargo trailer depending on what we are going to be doing.
68 years I'll race you to 70ty. Loser buys lunch.:)
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Welcome to the group. when my wife rode with me we pulled a trailer, had to, she always took to much stuff. I had a Bushtec and it pulls great, the only drawback on the Bushtec is the air shocks, you have to get them adjusted just right or you will wear out the tires fast. The Escapade trailer is another great trailer, and depending on how much money you want to spend there are cheaper trailers that do a great job also. Cyclemate comes to mind. Also dart trailers.
Google motorcycle trailers and see what you come up with.
This was my Motovation trailer

This was my Bushtec

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Have you had any complaints from the LAW concerning the covered up license plate?
Isaac, The little lady & I did a 9K plus trip across the country & back from Pa., hit 27 States & had not 1 issue. If you were concerned you could always rig a bracket to mount on the rack. By the way we road through some pretty harrowing terrain in Mt,Wy & SD. Dirt roads, potholes & debris as well. The only time that we scraped was when we would go on a steep entrance drive & it would be just a touch.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I have two trailers. A spirit two wheeler and a Burrito single wheel trailer hooked up to the Helix. I keep thinking of mounting the Burrito to the Volusia, but the Volusia keeps getting fewer and fewer miles.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forum Dreamweaver.
Having ridden in Texas, I would at least put the cooler rack on the wing. I've ridden several thousand miles with the cooler rack even got stopped going into Lovell, Wyoming a few years back, (my bad, excessive speed) the officer never mentioned the rack covering the plate.
We also have a pop up tent trailer ( Kwik kamp) we pull and a small cargo trailer depending on what we are going to be doing.
68 years I'll race you to 70ty. Loser buys lunch.:)
From the Northwest Corner
Ron
Hi Ron
Yepper, I know what your talking about with the heat. Helps to drool a lot during the summer.
Do you pull those with the Wing? I am curious about uneven strips of road where even the truck with a trailer seems to love to porpoise and oscillate. Just wondered how the Wing reacts to things like that. Do you ride 2 up mostly and what does the little lady say about towing.
I hear you have some big trees up that way. Maybe one of these days I can get up that way.
Later
Isaac

Attachments

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the group. when my wife rode with me we pulled a trailer, had to, she always took to much stuff. I had a Bushtec and it pulls great, the only drawback on the Bushtec is the air shocks, you have to get them adjusted just right or you will wear out the tires fast. The Escapade trailer is another great trailer, and depending on how much money you want to spend there are cheaper trailers that do a great job also. Cyclemate comes to mind. Also dart trailers.
Google motorcycle trailers and see what you come up with.
This was my Motovation trailer

This was my Bushtec
Hi Joe
Thanks for the pictures. By the angle of the bike in the second picture I assume you have one of those swivel type balls on the hitch.
I have Googled and E-Bayed and quite frankly, most of the trailers I see are out of my price range. Toyed with the idea of welding up one out of T6061-T6 stock but when I checked the price of the stock, I had to re-charge my defibrillator.
What aspects of towing did you really like aside from more storage and if you don't mind, what aspects did you Not like. Any experience with single wheel trailer vs two wheel.

Thanks for the reply and photos
Isaac

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Welcome to the forum, DreamWeaver. Enjoy your stay.

:D:D:D:D:D

Just how many will get that reference?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome DreamWeaver. Lots of choices for trailers as mentioned. I had a Sloaris (long defunct by now I imagine) tent trailer that we hauled behind the 1200 for about 6 years, only complaint was the hinge on the top half of the body was weak and I replaced it with a heavier piano hinge. The we pulled a Tiny-mite tent trailer foranother 6 years with both the 1200 and then the 1500. Awsome trailer! Tiny-mite had the swivel hitch, and the Solaris was solid. Never had a problem with either style hitch. Both trailers had similar (rubber bushing type) suspensin, but the Tiny-mite had a much lower centre of gravity, and less wind resistance. It had less effect on the 1500 than the 1200 but the 1500 had more grunt so comparisons aren't quite fair.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome Texan to the forum. You should be able to gather all the information you are searching for right here. By the way, that Yamaha FJR 1300 is one fine ride. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts