Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Another newbie to the world of GoldWings. I traded in my Vulcan 500 for an '08 comfort/navi GoldWing. The Vulcan was my first bike and a learning tool. The goal was to end up with a big tourer that my wife and I could enjoy together.

I am still getting used to the rather dramatic differences between the little cruiser and the 'Wing, but doing OK so far. The bike is totally stock, so I am starting to think about upgrades and bling.

After reading this (and other sites) I have determined that my bike has the dreaded "wobble" and trying to decide if I need to do anything about it. I'd never have noticed it had I not read about it - I'm a one hand on the bars at all times kinda guy.

Other than that reading though the posts here and learning.

Regards,

Randy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site sorry cant help with wobble but im sure someone on here will help they are a good bunch of guys.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Randy, how many miles on the '08?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new Wing.. If you do a search on the site you will see a lot of posts on the "wobble". Is you bike new, or used? How many miles on the tires.

If the bike is still under warranty, have a dealer check it out. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Welcome Randy to a good place with lot's of good people. Good luck with your issue.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to the site from Arkansas. Ask any question and somebody will either look up an answer or will know it already. This is a Great place to Know if that bling item or whatever is good or bad. Be safe and get used to the "big Girl".

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Yahoo! Another '08 Wing rider. Just came on board in November '09 myself. You have the nefarious " wobble " around 40 mph also ? Welcome to the club. I came off a 1300 VTX and she sure felt big and awkward at first. Both feelings ended up being psychological. The bike drives itself and all we do is tell it which way to go. Easy to say, but it took time to understand it. I felt I was going to tip over in the turns for the first 1,000 miles. Sooner or later we have to scrape a foot peg , and when that happens, we will have conquered her. We will work on the " wobble " issue later. Right now get out and ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Howdy Randy....looks like we are in the same neck of the woods. Good luck on the wobble issue ... lots of good reads on the issue here....Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF randy

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome!

The bike is a used '08. Kind of high-mileage at 17K, but clean and in great shape overall. My son-in-law is a salesman at one of the local dealerships and he kept an eye out for a reasonable deal for me. It is still under warranty. The tires are new, but I don't know right off if they are Dunlops or Bridgestones.

I'm really not worried about the wobble. I wouldn't have noticed it had I not read about it first. I'll have the dealer take a look and snug everything up when I take it in for service. I may have them install a set of All Ball's at the same time.

I'm riding as much as I can and not having too much trouble. I have noticed that it wants to fall to the left at stops, but I suspect it's me and not the bike. I do a bit of PLP every weekend to practice finesse manouvers and they are getting better. No issues on the open road, it's a blast, and mama loves it.

Regards,

Randy

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Canada randy. 17k for an 08 is not really considered high mileage as these things eat up the miles and run forever. As you'll see by the threads in the forum, the biggest problem is having to do the mundane things in life rather than ride.
So many miles, so little time,
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good stuff Randy, and welcome to the site. It is possible that the steering head needs some attention, or the fork tubes/sliders. Many riders put a fork brace on and say it works, but I consider that a band-aid rather than a fix. You still have warranty coverage, so yeah, let a tech work it out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A Wing is a bit top heavy and will tend to lean over in a stop if the forks arnt straight. When I first rode the Green Wing I intentionally made it wobble just like my VTX. Since then havnt had a problem with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts