Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Just two days ago, I had the privilege to take delivery on my very FIRST motorcycle!!! It's and old, but not tired 1975 Goldwing G1000. 82,000 original miles, and I couldn't be more stoked! I've done my share of wrenching on autos, and most recently on diesel trucks, but I have NEVER ridden a motorcycle much less turned a wrench on one. It's kind of pathetic, but I've have this "perma-smile" thing going on now since I first laid eyes on my bike. I am looking forward to learning tricks and tips from the vets and I plan to post more before, during, and after pics of my project. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Congrats on your new 2u Wing and welcome to the GWOF. Boy, a first year Wing. That's cool. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Welcome aboard to the GWOF. You can belly up, ask all the questions you want & some of us may even be able to answer a few. The one thing I will suggest is to enroll in a motorcycle safety course since you've never ridden. Most states have them. I know in PA. you take something like 16 hours of theory/riding (they provide 250 CC bikes) & you walk away with a license. They also have further training courses. Not sure if Tn. does but I would check if I was you.

Make sure you post some pics of the progress on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard to the GWOF. You can belly up, ask all the questions you want & some of us may even be able to answer a few. The one thing I will suggest is to enroll in a motorcycle safety course since you've never ridden. Most states have them. I know in PA. you take something like 16 hours of theory/riding (they provide 250 CC bikes) & you walk away with a license. They also have further training courses. Not sure if Tn. does but I would check if I was you.

Make sure you post some pics of the progress on the bike.
Yes, TN does have the motorcycle safety course! Me and my wife will both be taking the course within the next couple of months.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Good for you guys. Again have fun on the site.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum from your southern neighbor.....Ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas. I didn't take up motorcycles until 5 years ago, and I'm 58 so don't feel like you're late to the game. I agree with the advice on taking the Motorcycle Safety Course. I can relate to you grinning full-time; I've had my Goldwing for 2 years now, and I still go out to the garage and just admire it. Awesome piece of machinery.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello dislexiq,welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the 'Classic' Wing, post some photos of your finished bike when done.
Good idea to take the safety program.
Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Dislexiq, from sunny So. CA.

I cannot recommend the MSF course enough - it completely changed my life & probably saved it many times too. Please be sure to follow through with that. The first thing they told me was that 90% of motorcycle riders who crash have NOT taken the course. Actually, most who crash a young riders doing dumb stuff. But I agree it will be a barrel of fun & you will learn a lot of good stuff.

Congrats on your new-2-u ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have spoken to people that I know around here, that have ridden motorcycles for years and years, and some of them have just recently taken the bike safety course and said that they feel more comfortable and safe than they ever did, even with a good amount of experience. So rest assured, my bike will not leave my driveway until I take the course; me and my wife are already figuring it into our schedules. Thanks to all for the warm welcome, and the advice on the safety course!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome aboard Dis, MSF is well worth it. Btw, dislexics have more NUF!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's been almost a year since my introduction to this site, and I am now JUST getting back to working on my project! I will be posting progress and pics in the appropriate forum.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Welcome to GWOF
+1 on the MSF course
Join the grinning crowd, that right your already grinning.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF! THIS is gonna be fun!

Is your Wing running? If so, how well? Be sure to reduce your "wrist" ft/lbs of torque a whole lot compared to deisel trucks.:) Do you have maintenance records for the bike? You have a real classic there. Gee, makes my '85 look almost new!:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts