Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since 2002 I've been riding a Kawasaki Nomad, mainly by myself. I am going on a 2 week 4000 mile trip next month and the wife decided she wanted to start riding with with me. I told her that the Nomad is comfortable for the driver but not very comfortable for the passanger on long trips. A couple of weeks ago I took her for a test ride on a Goldwing and she loved it. Today I own a new 2010 Goldwing "YAHOO." Will keep the Nomad though, still love that bike. It is a must that I ride with a backrest. I was wanting to intall a Utopia because the others interfere with the passanger's legs. I've read in the forums were some people have taken their bike to the dealer to have the Utopia intalled. My dealer told me that if I installed a Utopia it would void the warrenty. Anybody else heard that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
welcome

welcome to the group. Eureka springs here Don't know about the warranty being voided. Kinda sounds like the dealer wants to make some money. Enjoy and ride safe. Gary

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
dennis, welcome to the site. Modifications usually void warranties however the warranty of what? The seat? I say who cares? Make yourself comfortable. Lots of the guys here install their own.

There is nothing like having your best pal in the whole world on the back of your bike talking, site seeing, sharing & enjoying the ride with you. Enjoy the ride the both of you. Be safe. No my wife doesn't look at this site (at least I don't think so). I really mean it.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tell your dealer to read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and then ask him to put in writing that if you install a backrest it will void the warranty. Make sure to let him know you will be sending a copy of the letter to your State Attorney General's consumer protection office.

This would be akin to a manufacturer voiding your warranty for putting different wheels on your car. No way they could prove a backrest caused an engine or other mechanical failure.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
I would hope the grudged dealer was talking about a warranty on the seat only, perhaps the seat heater portion. Damn scare tactics of the dealerships. Case in point, in the garage door world one company would post that warranty is void unless THEY installed the automatic opener.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new Wing. The warranty issue may concern the heated seat and if anything should go wrong when you cut the seat and damage the wiring which would cause the seat and grips to not work properly. If you watch the video's on how to install the Utopia, you should not have any problems.

Enjoy the board and ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to you from up north eh. Ditto on what's been mentioned about the seat and warranty. I think your dealer is being piggish on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Thanks for all the Welcomes, It's nice to have fellow riders to talk to. I think the warrenty issue has to do with what Two Wheel Wing was saying about the heated seats. If I damaged the wiring during installation then the warrenty for the seat would not be covered. I will clarify that with the dealer. In the mean time I will watch the video on installing the Utopia. See, I learned something here already. Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
WELCOME from GUY ARKANSAS.............
GOLD WING ROAD RIDERS ASSOCIATION
GWRRA Arkansas District Rally is in Rogers, AR ....May 27th thru the 29th. Will be at Embassy Suites in Rogers.
Hope to see you there.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF dennis. i would put the stock seat back on when the bike had to got to the dealer for service

1 - 10 of 10 Posts