Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i picked up and 82 650 maxim basket with 8000 original...fixed it up . sold it for $1000 now upgraded to an 82 interstate.for $1200
sooo temp or fuel gauge does not work. also speedo quit on ride home. fuses are good i have not removed the fairing Yet. wow lots of screws..lol..but polished up the bike pretty well. also exhaust are shot. runs ok but i will rebuild carbs this winter as well as anything else. speedo looks easy but looks like i get to pull fairing to figure out fuel and temp gauges..any help on what to look for . i had everything off from steering back fuel sending unit tests good.
thanks to who ehlp me out ...
Larry B

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome lbman. Not too much of a trouble shooter, but there's lots of guys and gals here with experience on that model of Wing. You could have something inside the instrument pods that's funky if the sending units are good.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Seems to me if you are going to do extensive work on that Wing, you might want to invest in a shop manual. If you check the web you may be able to find one or maybe someone on here has one to sell that does not need it anymore. Good luck and post pics as you go. Ride safe...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
newbe 82 wing ?'s

oh i have a manual.i have spent most of my time so far researching and cleaning the rust off the poor thing. it has been put away wet...N>W> WA what do I expect hua.
anyway there must be a black box in the way of the sensors for gas gauge and temp gauge. i need to take the time to locate it. I was hoping for a quick fix from someone on this list with EXPERIENCE on the older gold wings..
i will check speedo drive gear easy enough and i have found some instrument sets on ebay for pretty cheep.
thanks for reply
LB

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
Welcome, fellow Washingtonian. I'm sure somebody will be able to give you some good advice. I picked up a bike from Maple Falls, earlier this year, and I think it is still drying out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
newbe 82 wing ?'s

hi.
0h Eastern WA. you are the guys with all the "SUN"...i live close to Maple Falls. shwew, we have had a mold {mild}winter. now the rain is making up for it. sunny today. lucky me i will ride in the rain (or don't ride at all). but coming from Minn. i,m used to riding in substandard weather.
My new girl friend is not too keen on it though. guess she will be having some quiet time alone!. once i get the fuel gauge, speedo,and temp gauge figured out. i hope to get a new front tire also. this one has lots of tread on it but is cupped and gets bouncy. I will look through the schematics tonight. eyes getting bad so its hard to read the little letters and lines. Ive had a few Harley's and a Beemer. been on a bike most of my life. so yet another learning curve. hope to make this one short as possible. getting Impatient. i will take this thing apart and make it run and look new this winter. all i want to do is Ride for now..
thanks for the Reply...
LB

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF lbman. you have mechanical guages on your 1100 so follow the speedo cable form the front wheel back to the speedo . the cable is probally broken, just replace it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup thanks. i found a local bud who has the drive unit if needed and a cable, i will also pull the tachometer cable and lube it the tachometer makes all kinds of noises and bounces around. bike has 69,000. but has spent a lot of time outside in the NW weather.
the temp gauge and gas gauge mysteriously started working last night as well as lights on speedo and tach. so i will pull that off and check connections this weekend. must be the 7 volt step down box. run a muck.
I am also looking for some cheep mufflers but it looks like they are one piece per side. and lots of bends..this set of pipes has already been changed once with used ones. i figure i will not mess with used pipes for they would have same self destructive tendencies from the inside out. it makes it tough to fab something due to the crossover pipe and the size of pipe at that point. any ideas on this matter?
thanks for the response.
Larry B

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check your fuse box of course for an easy fix on gauges. My new to me '82 the gauges were fine when I test rode. Got her home and the next day they didn't work. Have had several electrical issues going to the fuse box. All due to poor connectivity. Cleaned the contacts, replaced all fuses and all good :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
newbe 82 wing ?'s

thanks for reply.
fuses are all good and box looks good i went through a lot of connections cleaned and coated them with anti corrosion spray.
i am looking to get a new used gauge cluster off ebay. just so i can get the tach and a higher mph on speedo. the cable is broke at this time. speedo no worky. i found some mach pipes from chrome world $500. ouch i only paid 12 hun for the bike. i think i will have some custom pipes bent with a crossover pipe and put on some used Harley mufflers one of my bud's have laying around. i like noisy pipes . i have heard a few (very few) wings with noisy sounding pipes they sounded good. the way it is now i think i am riding on my Subaru wagon with 2 wheels. so i will improvise. after all...."chrome don't get ya home"
weather is FINALLY nice hear in the greater N.W. going to be summer they say. geeeezzz about time!!!
keep the rubber side down.
Larry B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts