Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of using a 99 gl1500 as a engine swap into my Japanese mini truck. I have been looking on the net for info on engine dimentions. I need to know how height,width and length. I know stock hp is 100hp but I wanted to know if anyone knows what the max would be. I would love to have around 150-200. I'm thinking small turbo head work maybe pistons and over bore if needed for turbo. The motors only got 46k on it so pistons and rings should be ok. Any advice on carb vs injected engines for power possibility. The truck will end up weighing around 1200 lb with me inside. I may be able to get it a little lighter but that's the weight of the truck now Plus 300 lb for engine installed. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
there are no injected 1500 wings or valks. the valk motor has about 5hp more that the 1500 wing motor and even an 1800 wing is nowhere near 200hp. turbo and head work would be needed and hopefully the bottom end would hold up. what did those mini trucks have for hp anyway? 150-200hp might cause problems with the driveline in it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mini truck has 45hp stock. I will be modifying drive train also. That's kinda why I need to know what kind of power can be made so I can figure put drive train mods that will need to be made.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is 150-200 hp possible? I know anything is possible but I am trying to also keep the reliability pretty good to. I know boosting power on anything decreases reliability. I'm not planning on doing any hp mods for a while but do want to know if its possible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
1200 is not much more than a fully loaded bike with two up. I wouldn't worry about changing anything. That's still twice the hp you had and keeps the reliability of the goldwing engine.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
there is no trubo or super charger kit on the market for a goldwing so you would have to fab something up there. as far as the engine enternals there is no market for up-graded parts so everything you do will be trial and error

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure just the swap will give me a surprising power increase over what I'm used to 45hp jumping to 100hp that's a nice jump and mpg are about the same as my stock mini truck engine had. I'm looking forword to seeing the out come. I did see a guy with a turbo 1800 so I know that can be done. As far as the fab work I'm doing a engine swap so I'm good with fabrication.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dose anyone know the dimensions of a gl1500. I can't find them online ruff measurements would be ok as long as its within an inch or so.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I would like to see the plans you have drawn up for matching up the side driveline on the bike engine/transmission assembly to the center of the truck rear end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My differential in my truck is off set to the right side of the trick. I'm having a custom drive shaft made for it. Its going to line up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
What about a Hayabusa engine....it's been put in a Smart car already.....Look here....

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its been done before. With a gl1500 I won't have to mod rearend. Hp and torque are good. I have not seen much done with thease motors as far as swapps or hp mods and I love a challenge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's going into a small truck so I need reverse and hp & torque that wont stress the engine to much. Any other engine possabilatys are welcome.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is the 4 & 6 degree trigger wheel for modest power gains. Have had one on my 91 for years. With good results,you need high test,but you need it anyway, for best results.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Goldwing Engine Installation -

Mercy Jong - Installing a Goldwing engine into a Jap pickup will be an interesting undertaking...... I've made quite a few engine swaps between vehicles over the years when looking for improved performance and I might mention that it's hard to beat the pre-engineered power plant packages available in a wrecking yard. If you are looking for a Fuel Injected/Turbo Charged engine there are many turn-key set ups available that would virtually be a drop in installation. The front desk at most wrecking yards will have an interchange book that can help you select the compatible donor vehicle for your pickup.

I found that if you get too far afield from the original power plant, no matter how much time and money you invest, a project can turn into 10 times the labor, grief and heartburn than expected. I'm certainly not saying that installing a Goldwing engine into a pickup can not be done, just take lots of photos.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well...I'm thinking the goldwing would be a good fit because its shaft drive and output shaft is on the right like me rear dif is. It will fit between my frame so I will have almost perfect weight distribution. My only problem is power potential don't know what it could do. I'm sure I could pull off 200hp with a turbo but don't know if the mirror could do to much more the that without redesign the whole thing. I'm not sure I am the one that wants to poor mass money into it to be the first one to hit big hp with a gl1500. I could go with a gsxr1300 I know that make stupid power stock. Throw a turbo in the mix and you got 3-4 hundred hp easily done. But the motors are expensive and ill have to re-design the rearend. I would definitely would not get to the point ware I could not get the power I was after. If I use a auto engine I only have 45" to work with from front of engine to back of tranny. If anyone has a good motor swap possibility I'm open for suggestions. I have 45" front to back and 30 max wide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts