Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 1984 Wing. Not sure of the model, but maroon and fully dressed. It has starting issues, which from using the search and looking at a few threads could be as simple as a good ground anchored near the starter or could mean a change out. Also was told that under acceleration in 4th gear that it will kick out of gear all the time, but if down shifting will hold in deceleration. This bike has been ridden less than 20 miles in the last 5 years, has been garage kept but wonder what else would need attention. Was told it has about 85K miles. Bottom line is this bike worth $1000.00 with the described conditions????

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,891 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I would be leery of anything that kicks out of gear. About the only thing that will cause that is abuse. If you need the transmission repaired, it could easily cost $1,000.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle. Just my opinion, but I would never buy a bike that needs any work to run right. Especially a bike that is 27 years old. There are so many used bikes available, why buy something that needs work. Leave the burden of repair on the seller.

If you are looking for a good solid used wing, I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. Prior to joining, go to a chapter meeting and ask questions. You will find people who will give you good answers........ and they just might know of a good bike that is no longer being ridden due to health reasons. Also, you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle that you plan to do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome and the reply.

Yes, am quite leery of it with the tranny issue, was just hoping that it would have been an easy "oh ya do this and its fixed" kind of thing LOL. Im not really looking for a touring bike, was gonna pull the fairing and trunk to give it a bagger look like a Valkyrie. So maybe its just time to say "next".

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are '84s out there, so it's not like they are rare. I'd take your time & look around. See what's available & how much it costs. If you log on to eBay you can search completed listings under advanced search and see if they actually sold & if so for how much.

Also, if you have a goldwing mechanic nearby, perhaps you could have him check it out before you buy. Or take a chance & lowball on the price.

Also, if you check with a local GWRRA chapter, I'd bet one of the members who knows a lot about wing maintenance & repair coulf give you some great advice & perhaps even take a look at the bike.

Also, welcome to the forums!

·
Administrator
26,224 Posts
Agree with the previous posts, if it pops out of gear consistantly in 4th, that's a pretty good indication of a worn gear in the tranny and needs replacement. Big job, lots of labour (yours or a mechanic's) and at today's rates plenty of $$ could add up. Seek another unless you 'want' a project bike. 84-87 (all 1200's) have stator issues, and then there the usual items to check thoroughly on a nearly 30 year old bike.
Em, welcome to GWOF BTW

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Scary

I would offer him 500 and keep it for a parts bike!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mdl
It sounds like a transmission problem , which means pulling & splitting the motor or sourcing a replacement motor
Twenty miles in five years ?-carbs will require work , brakes , tires , gas tank etc
It sounds happy in it's garage ,leave it there and start your search somewhere else The 1200 is a excellent machine ,but we can't save them all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts