Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Austin and I'm 23 years old and I love older bikes. I recently purchased a 1985 GL1200I with only 44k miles on it. I have only had it since August and it is currently getting ready to be put away for winter, however the two months I got to ride it, made me fall in love. I wasn't sure at first. I thought I would keep the bike for a little while then move on. Nope I now have no intentions of getting rid of it, ever (if possible). I know it's only been a short time since I've had it but I have never ridden anything like it.

The purpose of me using this forum is to get some advice on how to repair some things that might arise, how to make for a better ride, and how to prevent issues that might arise. (also to eventually dish out some advice once I get the knowledge). I only know 1 person with a GoldWing and our knowledge of them is limited. I'm happy to have found a online community like this to become apart of.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Welome to the GWOF, Austin. Got a number of 1200 riders on here.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Did you get ant maintenance records with the bike?

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello austin, welcome to GWOF. congrats on the purchase of your new wing, post a pic or two

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Welcome from Pa. and yes I for 1 have always loved the 1200, had two 85s and 1 86 my second 85 took me everywere for 160K miles and with no problems, sold it to by the 86 to fix up to do a 2 week trip around the USA. Off the top of my head for you to look at is the stator connection is it the old plastic plug or a hard wired splice. Good for you and glad you are here.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Good knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome,and may I suggest that you change the belts over the winter. As thy may be the original belts,and are now very old. Hal

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF, Austin! Plenty of current and former GL1200 owners around here and we're happy to help fellow Classic Wingers.

My first recommendation is to buy a good manual. I like my Clymer M504 GL1200 manual very much. Look forward to hearing how your project goes.

Oh, and don't let lack of knowledge of any particular topic hold you back; we don't!:p

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome Austin. Over the things mentioned above, the 1200 might benefit from some Progressive fork springs, as well as conventional Progressive shocks in the rear if your air shocks go west. Carb service and sync is essential IMO.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 2u Wing... Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting a Classic Wing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.