Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
welcome to the group hun. this s a great place. youll love it. whats your issue. we all might have an answer also you can get other help from the goldwingdocs site as well.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....

We do like to try to solve problems....so let us know the problem is....

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Ok glad your mom did not hurt your brother too much.....and as far as the wing being green.....oh well.... (red is the fastest color you know).

Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me. I had almost the same type of issues with my 1500 until I changed out the fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state..

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Like has been suggested. Clean the battery terminals and make sure they are really tight. Had a friends bike not want to start out in the middle of no where, not much we could do so we tightened the terminal and we were on our way.
Also clean and check the fuses.
Also be sure you are not bumping the Kill switch they are very sensitive, doesn't take much for them to shut the wing down.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF young lady! It's great to welcome more women on this site! Especially those who are clearly into the "guts" of what we're all up to. Outstanding!

As BAMAEAGLE has suggested, I'd look at the fuel pump first, along with the fuel filter. Sounds "fuel starved," especially since you didn't lose all power (main fuse, etc.) And, as others suggest, I'd check all connections, especially main/major fuses.

My '83 GL1100 SE has fresh timing belts adjusted correctly and rebuilt carbs ready to go on; AND I sent a PM to Budoka earlier asking for the valve lash specifications intake/exhaust. From what I've seen so far, I don't want to start him ("Bobo") until I know the valve settings are on the nut. I'm also pulling open every connection I can find, cleaning them with contact cleaner (overpriced Gum-Out,) waiting till they're dried and re-connecting them after they're packed with dielectric compound. A bit anal, I admit, but I prefer to do things once, correctly, to messing around with stuff for longer. Patience is NOT my long suit, as some here are aware.:eek:

Good luck, Goldwinglady, and let us know how it goes, OK? :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well I really want to help, but I am still getting my head around the fact that we have yet another, mechanically inclined motorcycle riding funny Lady on board!;););):D
you go girl.

OK now thats off my chest lets fix your Wing.Oh BTW welcome to our forum.
in your post you have not mentioned how long you have owned your Wing. and what has been done to it.
I find that most weird problems are due to lack of maintenance or previous repairs done incorrectly.

What can you tell us about the overall condition of your Wing,
what repairs have been done to it in the past? do you do all the repairs yourself or does the dealer-commission mechanic work on it?

I agree with the others here that it may be fuel related, but in all reality its just a guess.
the work that is required to properly diagnose an intermittent problem that only shows its self after the engine is 2 degrees below that of molten lava just sucks to deal with so its no surprise that no one has been able to figure it out. your going to need a few tools that you may have or can buy cheap enough. when I get time I will post links where to buy some of these tools if you need me to.
first you will need a spark indicator tool that goes on the end of the spark plug then the plug wire snaps back on it. when the bike is running you will see a nice flashing light thus indicating you still have spark. you will also need a good quality fuel pressure gauge
this will need to be connected to the bike where you can read the pressure while riding. third thing you will need is a cheep DVOM connected to the battery. with all your gadgets connected up and double checked The nothing will come loose or fall off the bike.
go for a ride if it dies out and will not start take note of the fuel pressure and spark. and let us know what is cutting out.

once you know what you are missing to jeep the bike running we will have a starting point to help you without wasting time and money.
the other school of thought is just hang parts on it until you get lucky or go broke.
so gather up some more data for ys and we will do Way we can to help make your wing reliable again.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The one thing not mentioned yet is SPARK. Have had a few that when hot will lose all spark. Please check this. You can get an inline spark tester at any local parts house and leave it in line to see if the spark goes away when hot.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome Beth, looks like you have more ideas to check than you can shake a stick at for now. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I agree that it may be the alternator. I'd do as suggested before, run it with a meter on the battery and see what the voltage is at different RPMs. It should be at ~14 volts at 2,000 RPMs and up.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Larry,
No I am not married, and I have told the guy that lives with me; "No way in H*ll!" 3 times now. But, if I find myself single I'll let you know! :p hee hee hee!
I DO have an older sister who's single though, she lives in Dothan AL, and has the same sense of humor and mechanical sense as I.
Welcome to the forum Beth.

I live just down the road from your sister. I am in Donalsonvile, GA. Matter of fact, I have 2 accounts in Dothan.. Dothan Powersports and Dothan Harley.

Compliments on running AMSOIL, let me know if I can do anything for you.

On to business. You may have 2 totally unrelated problems.

Engine dying and then able to restart a short time later definitely sounds like vapor lock which usually occurs in the fuel pump.

Our fuel in the US is not worth a darn. Although, many people have the idea that "gas is gas", that is not true. I try to stick to BP, Mobil/EXXON, Marathon and Conoco (Pilot/Flying J)

Of course, these are no guarantees but a better chance of good fuel.

I highly believe in regular fuel treatments. Which is why I not only sell it, I use it religeously.

If you are riding in those temps, which I have, bump up to Premium fuel. Regardless what anyone says, it burns slower, cooler and vaporizes less.

I actually got a Great deal on a Honda Accord from a friend of mine one time. It would die when it got hot and they would be stuck on the side of the road for about 15 minutes and it would restart. They didn't want to listen to me and they didn't want to "sell a problem vehicle" but I insisted and they virtually gave it away. Right down the road to an AMOCO, load of Premium and ran good fuel from then on, not Premium, just "good" fuel. Never a problem.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed. I've seen dirty fuel filters act pretty strange at times.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello beth, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
With ALL due respect: You have to love a woman who not only digs, but understands motorcycles, especially when she's commanding her own Wing!

I'm proud to be a fellow GWOF member with you, Trike Lady (Nichola Tesla's great-granddaughter, I'm convinced), Charlaine, Angelmammaw (Where are you, Pat?), and all the other ladies here. As in daily life, you provide balance for the boys and their Bullsh:eek:t!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.