Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I just bought a bike I always thought looked kool. I was crusining kIJIJI looking for a deal and I found it. A 1984 GL1200 standard with only 24k km. owned. Y an old guy who could not keep it up any more
My other bike is a 2000 screaming eagle road glide

My Honda run quiet has pretty good get up and go and is a lot lighter than the HD

I'm going to drive it as a daily driver trip is 60 miles both ways. My few. Complaints so far is cramped shifter (yes I have caught myself trying to downshift with my heel. Lol )
The other is lack of highway pegs but I am told there are lots of aftermarket parts aa avail

I'm enjoying this. Classic . Bike. And it always drawls a look.

About me? I'm 50 been riding since 18. I've owned HD. Yamaha Hondas a d Suzuki and a moped. I'm. Of a bike snob don't care what u ride so long as u ride
I was an Armoured Officer in the CF For 27 years before I retired to become an IT geek
I also own A 1980 z28 with T-tops and a new crate motor

I'm looking for a Ural patrol 2x2 for off roading

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike.

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
Greetings & Welcome to the GWOF. We like you Canuckers around here, our Boss is one.;)

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA. Congrats on your new 2u Wing. Sounds like you have quite a stable of rides. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland , congrats on your purchase

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
hello gank, welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting a Classic Wing.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Hi Gank and welcome to the GWOF! Nice looking Classic Wing!

Seem to be a few of us collecting and restoring '80s 1200 Wings these days. Congratulations on snaring one.

This Forum's members are a very good resource for classic Wing troubleshooting and maintenance, as well as The Meaning of Life! Have fun and ride safe.

T

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Welcome to GWOF and congratulations on your classic wing. Eric

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new 2u ride.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
That's an awesome kept standard Wing you found, would love to add one like that to my garage. Welcome along!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello and

welcome from the good end of Ontario. Just FYI there is a fellow in Dryden here that has a Honda silverwing v twin. believe its a 500 from the late 70's or early 80's

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from down south in Texas. Good looking ride(s).

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Have a good independent shop in the area?
May do the job at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
365 Posts
They want to remove the fairing? Go somewhere else where they know what their talking about!! I have an '84 standard as well, I've looked EVERYWHERE! Darned if I can find the fairing:confused:...mine has 53K (KM) on it....I see yours has some "extras", chrome engine covers, grips, & seat to name a few..very nice. You may want to run some Sea Foam through it now n then..keep it running happy!:D
BTW, keep an eye on the stater wires/plug..it's a known issue..that plug gets loose & causes the connection to heat up & melt that plug...often taking out the stater....(stater on the early 1200's are weak to begin with) engine has to come out to change it...mine needs one now, I have the parts just haven't got to it yet:(

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
By 'fairing' I can only assume they want to take that windscreen off. Why I certainly don't know, unless the seal you're talking about is a fork seal. Thats a fair length of time then and might explain the cost. If it's just engine oil, there's something sideways with their logic unless it's an engine case seal of some sort. Give us some more info and we'll see what we can help out with on the advice side. Luv that seat...Corbin Dual Tour?

·
Registered
365 Posts
wet?

Gank, I'm in Innisfil (Alcona)..beside Lake Simcoe just a stones throw South of Barrie. As far as the wet, I haven't heard of any issues.
One thing to check & keep clean; There are drain holes in the bottom of the spark plug wells, often they get plugged up with dirt, if that happens they will fill with water & ground out that plug.
That is not limited to the Standards though..all 1200's are the same in that regard.
Other than that..not sure, maybe someone else has ideas / info about wet?? Enjoy your ride!!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.