Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a Goldwing and my wife just bought me one for our 25th wedding anniversary. I have a 1984 GL1200 Interstate and it is in great condition. Does anyone have any tips for me related to this model? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Big Daddy, You have to love your wife, but I caution you she had herself in mind too.:D Welcome from the Keystone State.

Now to answer your question our resident 1200 guys are Ronzilla, bstar, detdrbuzzard, Ronwheeler, & oldsmores. I'm sure there are other guys I'm forgetting about & apologize to them now. If 1 of them doesn't jump in here I'll be surprised & if you Private message them I'll bet they will help.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Wing. She's a keeper..... the bike and your wife.. Oh, and congrats on 25 years of marriage. Enjoy and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What a great present, and a great wife, the 84 is a great bike and you will get many miles from it, the first thing I would do is put a volt meter on it. The soft spot of 1200 Gold Wings is the stator, other than that, ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY!! :)

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Welcome to the site, I have the same kind of wife,She likes the same things I do I guess that is why I have been married to her for over 22 yrs now.Congrats on the new bike, I have a 2008 GW so I do not have any tip,Just have a great time .

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome BigDaddy, congrats on your 1200 and the 25 years. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
A Goldwing and some of the best riding roads east of the Mississippi. You should find that 25 years was worth the wait. Seneca Rock WV is a ride I have been told not to miss. And I don't plan on missing it. See you in " Wild and Wonderful " West Virginia !

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi Big Daddy, congrats on the 25 years and the new wing for you. The only model of wing I've never owned is the 1200, and the 1800. As joe in calif says keep an eye on the stator. I am married now for 26 years and my wifes loves jumping on the back of my wing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Big Daddy you have a keeper for a wife that's for sure.
Welcome from ARKANSAS.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Welcome to the group and congratulations on your anniversary. My wife also encouraged me to purchase an 1800 last November. After she rode on it a few times I’m surprised she didn’t slap me for making her ride on the Yamaha for the last ten years. I’m sure you will find lots of help here if you should need it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF big daddy, like most wings timingbelts should be changed if it hasen't been done. how is the stator, charging ok?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like everyone else says congrat on 25 years and I would keep a eye on the stator. I have a '84 1200 aspecade that I am replace the stator on right now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check to see if the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator near the battery have been
soldered or if the original white connector plug is still there. That plug was a problem area for corrosion buildup which eventually causes the stator to fail because of heat build up from non conductivity thru the plug. The fix is to solder the wires rather than using that plug for a better electrical conection.

My wife is good about Motorcycles too,been married 45 years this year.When I retired she told me to go get the 85 LTD I'd always wanted, so I did. We had an 83 Interstate years before,toured many places,pulled a trailer,then kids,building a home etc. took priority and I had no time, just work work work. Today in retirement I ride when I want,where I want, and my wife still lights up when I say "Wanna go for a burn on the Wing" :)

-Robert-

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congratulations on the Goldwing. Here in the Houston area spring has sprung, and it is great to see all the folks out on the road on their bikes. I hope the elements are allowing to ride as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts