Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am actively looking for a GW. I will probably go with a new one unless I find a great deal on a used low mileage one.

I am thinking maybe a 2009 or 2010 Nav model?

Does anyone know what changes were made from 2009 to 2010? Any issues with the NAV device or anything else I should be aware of?

I had a 1999 1500 SE and a few bikes since then, but I miss the Wing!

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rob, you'll find a wealth of knowledge from members of the site. though I don't ride and 1800, I think the changes made in the '09 and '10 models were the tire pressure monitoring system and the satellite radio system. It's the 2011 models there are all the questions about :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Ditto on Whacker's thoughts. I have an 08' and though it is my first bike with a radio, I can see once you have (( XM )) you can never go back. But I have an iPod.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
As the proud owner of a 2008 Wing with comfort, audio, nav I can truthfully say that if you find a bike that you like without the navigation option go for it. While it is handy to have, you will have many more features and easier programming with an aftermarket device and a mounting bracket. The Honda unit is a Garmin but lacks so many of the features commonly found on the least expensive stand alone units. I had a c550 on my 1500 and it also had a bluetooth feature that displayed who was calling. That way I knew who was calling and if I did'nt want to stop and take the call I would be able to return the call later.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The only difference between 09 and 10 are the color choices, The TPMS and XM radio came out in 09 and all Gold Wings made for 09 & 10 have them, along with heated grips and heated seats. There are some great deals on used 08 & 09's out there, I have an 08 base model because I didn't want the Honda heated stuff that doesn't work right most of the time anyway, and I added my after market GPS. But if want ABS on the bike you have to get all the other stuff.

·
Registered
449 Posts
XM radio would be nice but the Wing will search for local radio stations. I listen to the I-pod 90% of the time anyway. Didn't build a 4,000 song inventory just for fun. TPMS I want. I'm a tire pressure checking freak. I've seen them for sale for about $160.00 so I think that most likely will be a MUST HAVE real soon. Basically, what I'm saying is You can save thousands by buying left over inventory. Enough to buy the much needed SAFETY CHROME.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The TPMS is a good thing to have but not the Honda one, it has one light but it doesn't tell you if it's the back tire or the front tire that's low, I guess that s no big deal but I also heard you have to travel a couple of miles before they start to work, so if your tires are low and you don't check it with a gauge you won't know until you get several miles down the road. Honda has made some nice improvements with the Gold Wing but since they added heated grips, heated seats, and TPMS there has been nothing but trouble with these things. You are better off to buy after market ones. And I also heard that Garmin in no longer making up-dated maps for the Gold Wing GPS system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
2012 models

I spoke to a dealer last week and he said Honda was moving the wing plant back to Japan and there wouldn't a 2011 model but an early release of the 2012 models. True? no say. I notice a lot of dealers have an overstock of 3 wheelers as attested to by ebay listings. A used wing is a good investment too.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF rob and good luck with your search for a wing

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First welcome to the forum and good luck on your decision. Everyone seems to have covered the differences in the newer model Wings. I have a 2009 Audio/Comfort model. Unlike some others I've not had any issues with the grips or seat, but time will tell. I believe the 2008 model Nav unit is not upgradable because of a different formating. The 09/10 models are able to be upgraded as far as I know. If you want ABS you have to go to at least a level 3 model. There are still some good deals out there on 08/09 models as well as some used bikes with low miles that owners have had to give up because of the economy. Hope you find yours. Ride safe..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi there, and welcome to the site. I have a 2010, in metallic black, which I think looks better than the basic black, but that is up to personal preference. Most of the differences have been revealed to you by the other guys, but just for my 2 cents, I have no problems with my heated seat or grips. To be fair, my bike is still new. Just so you know, though, the factory warranty is 3 years, with an option for another 4. So buy with confidence. I didn't go for the nav and xm, though, because the same bike I bought would have been 2500.00 more with it. I can buy a lot of maps and a heck of an ipod for that. Besides, getting a little bit lost is part of the point, isn't it? Good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Rob, which ever you choose new or near new know that the Goldwing is the best Touring motorcycle ever made. Ask any of us older Wing owners, 25 and 30 year old Goldwings thousands and thousands of them still going strong, if that is'nt a statement in itself what is, but I don't need to convince you since you already owned one.

Ride on my brothers,its a great life,wind in your face,Freedom,North America,we're blessed,
I know the price of freedom,did my time,enough said.

-Robert-

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the input. I had not heard about problems with the heated seat and grips? I will continue to digfor info. Off to local dealer this afternoon and see what deals they have (but I don't hold much hope here). They have not been willing to deal in the past.
So far, I think I may drive a bit, and trailer a new one home. Probably going to be an 08 or 09.
Thanks Again!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Rob
Welcome to the forum, i only joined this week so i,m only new to.
Off to local dealer this afternoon and see what deals they have (but I don't hold much hope here). They have not been willing to deal in the past.
Dont be discouraged before you start, i only got mine yesterday, that is i done the deal but cant get it until the 3rd of april.
I visited the dealer 3 times, the first was to show interest, the second was to to test drive by myself and the third was to test drive with the wife on board. After all that we then sat down and started to wheel and deal. I had a Harley to trade and already had a change over figure in mind. Thay come back to me with there figure and they were $9000 over( the bikes here go for $48000.00:( for luxury model, exchange rate is $0.90 cents to your dollar, in other words about $43000 US). I wanted a change over of $25,000 they offered $34,000, in the end i got the deal when i walked out. They rang me within 15 minutes:D. Things here are slow like the rest of the world and now is the time to do deals.
Car yards and motorcycle places need the buisness. Just walk in with confidence and know what you want before you deal and stick to it. I know its tempting to pay that extra. Good luck on your quest. Ps I have a picture of my bike in a other post called Signed on the Dotted Line.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the 2012 Wing will be radically different from the current models.

I am waiting - - - - - -

But, who knows.

Joe T.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts