Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I finally got my 2009 blue goldwing. I have a cpl questions. I have an aftermarket GPS mounted on the right handlebar. Where can it be wired in so I have constant power to it. I dont want to use the plug in the left pocket. Also, the bike seems like it needs a 6th speed when riding on the highway. Others Ive ridden didnt feel this way. Is this just cause its new and needs broken in? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF pitt3256, all wings feel like they need a 6 speed trans out on the road. congrats on your new wheels

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Hello Pitt 3265, You have the same thoughts about the extra gear as I do. Since the day I got my 2008 I thought "What a nice idea it would be to have one more gear be- fore the overdrive." When riding solo I can accellerate "rather briskly" while going uphill in OD.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Why don't you want to use the power supply under the left pocket? You could run a wire to the fuse box, on top there is a place for AUX. that you could hook it up to, on and off with the key. The RPM'S at about 70 MPH is about 3,000, and if you want to pass someone there is no need to downshift, just hit it. a 6th gear would lower the RPM's and you might get better MPG's but performance would suffer.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Joe's right about the performance. The Wing redlines at 6,000 so at 3,000 it's in it's happy zone. Remember you have 6 cylinders and 1800+ cc under you and to be getting around 40-45 mpg on average is pretty good. Plus it's nice to know you can crack the throttle at 65 and get around just about anything...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to keep the power supply in the glove box for charging our cellphones. The wire that came with the tomtom isnt long enough to go from the left side to the handlebar

·
Banned
3 Posts
I wanted to keep the power supply in the glove box for charging our cellphones. The wire that came with the tomtom isnt long enough to go from the left side to the handlebar
Why not just tie into the power supply in the left pocket and install a power supply in the right pocket

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get some wire

Greetings, I finally got my 2009 blue goldwing. I have a cpl questions. I have an aftermarket GPS mounted on the right handlebar. Where can it be wired in so I have constant power to it. I dont want to use the plug in the left pocket. Also, the bike seems like it needs a 6th speed when riding on the highway. Others Ive ridden didnt feel this way. Is this just cause its new and needs broken in? Thanks
Match the power wire you have at Radio Shack or similar store and run a wire back to your main fuse panel (access port). Note that one of the terminals is + and the other - so you don't reverse the polarity.

Doing this will allow your power to be cycled with the ingnition.

This will save your left pocket power for your other accessories.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Your Wing has a 6 cyl engine. 3,000 rpm can sound that way. Actually, those happy 6 are singing to you. I love the sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts