Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, been riding for over 50 years and just bought my first Goldwing, a 1998 GL1500. Have only put a little over 100 miles on it and found I don't like the custom seat previous owner installed. Plan on going to bike shops to see if I'd like stock better. Maybe someone replaced their stock seat and are willing to part with it ? I'm in central Ohio

· Super Moderator
13,372 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I found the stock seat on the 1500 to be quite comfortable.

· Super Moderator
10,442 Posts
Welcome from you neighbor to the east. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

· Registered
3,811 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

· Registered
8,601 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We have plenty of 1500 riders here and they should be along soon with their comments also.

· Super Moderator
15,511 Posts
Hello all, been riding for over 50 years and just bought my first Goldwing, a 1998 GL1500. Have only put a little over 100 miles on it and found I don't like the custom seat previous owner installed. Plan on going to bike shops to see if I'd like stock better. Maybe someone replaced their stock seat and are willing to part with it ? I'm in central Ohio
Hello George, welcome to GWOF !! i ended up with a road sofa on my '93. once installed i found it to be comfortable but it just didn't fit me because it was too low. if i get to ride this year i plan on dropping it off at a shop i know recovers and custom builds seats, maybe there is a place like that near you

· Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the welcome ! Just replaced the windshield with a shorter one & a headlight bulb. Now need to replace one of the fog light bulbs. Question about that, does the trim around the light just pop off or is there a screw or bolt that I'm not seeing ? Are parts allowed for sale here ?

1,206 Posts
Thanks for the welcome ! Just replaced the windshield with a shorter one & a headlight bulb. Now need to replace one of the fog light bulbs. Question about that, does the trim around the light just pop off or is there a screw or bolt that I'm not seeing ? Are parts allowed for sale here ?
Forum rules allow personal sale items after 10 posts. The lower cowl light (fog/driving light) is replaced from the back side by removing the panel from the bike.

· Super Moderator
15,511 Posts
i replaced my headlight bulbs last year and went with some F4 LED bulbs

· Registered
7 Posts
Forum rules allow personal sale items after 10 posts. The lower cowl light (fog/driving light) is replaced from the back side by removing the panel from the bike.
TY just changed the oil & filter and saw it wasn't a big deal getting to the fog light. Next is inspecting the brake pads, watched video on removing saddlebag, looks like a pain in the as-. watched another showing tilting whole trunk & bags together which looks easier

· Registered
7 Posts
Hello George, welcome to GWOF !! i ended up with a road sofa on my '93. once installed i found it to be comfortable but it just didn't fit me because it was too low. if i get to ride this year i plan on dropping it off at a shop i know recovers and custom builds seats, maybe there is a place like that near you
Hi, Thanks for the welcome, well its a custom seat make for previous owner, it pushes me too far forward. Thinking a stock seat for a 25 yr old motorcycle shouldn't be too hard to find. Hitting the dealers to see if they have a used wing with stock seat to see if it would fit me better.

1,206 Posts
TY just changed the oil & filter and saw it wasn't a big deal getting to the fog light. Next is inspecting the brake pads, watched video on removing saddlebag, looks like a pain in the as-. watched another showing tilting whole trunk & bags together which looks easier
I tried the tilt method once, didn’t use it again because it’s heavy lifting it. Left saddle bag removal on a 1500 is something i can now do in my sleep. The worst part is when they have added spoilers and wrap-around trim that needs to be removed as one piece. Most times the saddle bag side lights end up needing a connector installed because they just wired them in solid.

· Registered
7 Posts
I tried the tilt method once, didn’t use it again because it’s heavy lifting it. Left saddle bag removal on a 1500 is something i can now do in my sleep. The worst part is when they have added spoilers and wrap-around trim that needs to be removed as one piece. Most times the saddle bag side lights end up needing a connector installed because they just wired them in solid.
Video I watched, he used straps connected to ceiling to lift it. May not need brakes replaced, just peace of mind to look them over. New to me, might just be nature of the beast

· Super Moderator
15,511 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the welcome, well its a custom seat make for previous owner, it pushes me too far forward. Thinking a stock seat for a 25 yr old motorcycle shouldn't be too hard to find. Hitting the dealers to see if they have a used wing with stock seat to see if it would fit me better.
if a stock seat puts you in a better riding position send your seat out and have it fitted for you, the shop i'm taking my seat will contour a seat to fit me so he will move the step in the seat back if need be. find a shop near you that will do the same

· Registered
7 Posts
if a stock seat puts you in a better riding position send your seat out and have it fitted for you, the shop i'm taking my seat will contour a seat to fit me so he will move the step in the seat back if need be. find a shop near you that will do the same
The seat is on the back burner for now. Fixed the Running light & checked the front brakes. Next is replacing the radio speakers. Only 1 front speaker working, watching a lot of YouTube before I tackle it 🙄

1 - 18 of 18 Posts