Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - new Wing owner. Purchased a nice 2004 with 36K mi on it a week ago. I have about 300 miles on it, so far extremely happy.

I’m 5’9” tall, and the bike has the OEM windscreen on it. At the both the highest and lowest positions (have not yet tried all) I have some buffeting from wind hitting the back of my helmet at 80-90 mph-ish.

I went on Wingstuff and noted OEM like screens that are higher, and aftermarket screens of different size/shape/angles. Has any brand/model screen perked to the top for riders of my height as far as effectively stopping the buffeting I noted?

Pic for attention...

Thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Nice looking bike. I have the OEM screen on my wing so I can't help with your problem. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I also still have the stock windshield. At 90 mph I doubt any aftermarket will eliminate buffeting. But there are a lot of different styles out there and those with them will be along to let you know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi - new Wing owner. Purchased a nice 2004 with 36K mi on it a week ago. I have about 300 miles on it, so far extremely happy.

I’m 5’9” tall, and the bike has the OEM windscreen on it. At the both the highest and lowest positions (have not yet tried all) I have some buffeting from wind hitting the back of my helmet at 80-90 mph-ish.

I went on Wingstuff and noted OEM like screens that are higher, and aftermarket screens of different size/shape/angles. Has any brand/model screen perked to the top for riders of my height as far as effectively stopping the buffeting I noted?

Pic for attention... View attachment 274348

Thanks,
Barry
Was the vent open or closed? Sometimes that will equalize the pressure and help eliminate the wind hitting you on the back of the helmet. Someone made a wind deflector that was inserted between the passenger backrest and the plastic part of the top trunk lid. I have no ties to these people and have no idea if it works (link below). I can say that I have something similar on my ragtop Camaro and it does work in that application. For me, at 90 MPH, it would have been my wife hitting me on the back of my helmet.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As captain78 says above, play with the vent and you should be able to get rid of the air hitting the back of your helmet. I'm on my 4th windshield now, and I think I've now found what works for me - a Madstad. I tried a Windbender, which was good but didn't seem to do anything for my wife. Then I tried a tall F4+4 which honestly is a very nice windshield and creates a nice big calm'ish air bubble to live in, but I never totally got used to looking through. After a long ride a couple years ago in a bad rain and not being able to see through the windshield much of the time I vowed to try something different. My brother had installed a Madstad a couple of years earlier and was very happy with it, so I went with that, and glad I did. Not cheap, but very effective.

Do some fiddling with height and the vent and if still not satisfied, start reading reviews before you choose. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Hello Barry, welcome to the forum.

I had a F4+2 on my 1500 and liked it. On my 1800 I'm running a Honda extra tall screen and enjoy the protection from it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In response to the earlier question on the vent... tried it open/closed. Still messing with height in between full low, and full high. I put my palm above the screen and that seemed to still the buffeting a bit.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One more thing to consider is temperature control. When my stock screen is all the way up, no air enters my helmet vents in warm weather.
I prefer to look over the screen (especially in heavy rain), but will raise it to reduce the buffeting my wife experiences. Even so, she experiences significant buffeting when we are fighting strong crosswinds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I LIKE the vent open when it is warmer. I also ordered the Baker Air Wings for the mirrors... they will be scooping cool air in the summer. I like the ability to direct air behind the massive fairing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have read numerous articles about buffeting on the 1800 but for both my wife and I the 1800 has little to no buffeting versus our 1500 and this is true at least to 115mph. Maybe the helmets have something to do with us air flow, as ours has the stock windshield set to the lowest position and no vent, but we now ride with modular helmets versus the 3/4 helmets on the 1500.

·
Registered
61 Posts

These will help immensely...for you and especially your passenger if you have one. My wife was getting attacked by the wind on the back of our 2012. Once I put these on she was much more comfortable. I have the side wings and the mirror wings. These are more solid and heavier than the Baker Wings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you will like the hand wings (mirror wings you got, I think). I am 5'10" and also have a VStream windshield instead of the stock. Not quite as smooth as the rifle windshield I have on the FJR, but I am very happy with my setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MadStad !! I love it and more importantly my wife loves it. 20K on it and I have nothing but good things to say. Cruising on the highway she says that she has no buffeting. I do have the screen "all the way up" in this situation. Riding alone I have it just high enough so that I can look over it and still I get full wind protection. On back roads I drop it all the way down so it's pretty much out of my way all the time. Heavy rain I go back to just high enough so that I can look over it so that I have a better view of the road ahead. One 3 week trip from Miami to Rhode Island we went through a lot of areas with lots of bugs and NONE hit my helmet. A real testament to the airflow it creates up and over you. Did I mention that I love it !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,
Barry
So I have an 08 and am on my second wind screen. I purchased it from Clearview Shields. They are a good company and have been happy with their product. Give them a call they may do something custom for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Thanks,
Barry
Welcome wing owner , i have the 03 .....id try to lower the suspension, first or raise the wind shield that you have .....not sure about the 04 ...but the 03 has two levels , that go up and down , up position , loosens the wind shield, to bring up ....level down locks into place .........so either lower suspension or move wind shield up .....should take the back draft behind your head ..

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a Clearview 2+3 that I just took off. Will sell it. If interested PM me.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Yeah, I LIKE the vent open when it is warmer. I also ordered the Baker Air Wings for the mirrors... they will be scooping cool air in the summer. I like the ability to direct air behind the massive fairing.
I like the mirror wings, as far as I'm concerned that's the only ones I need.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I like the mirror wings, as far as I'm concerned that's the only ones I need.
That's because you haven't tried the side wings. The upper part directs a lot more air flow on me in the summer, and the lower part directs heat from the radiators to me in the winter. 😁

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Actually, I had the others on it when I got it. I removed them when I did a bunch of work on it and never put them back on. I don't miss them in the least!

Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 19 of 19 Posts