Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

Yep, had the '89 for less than two months and was rear ended Friday afternoon. Knocked us about 10' and tipped over. Wife on back and she stuck her hand out, broken elbow/arm. Rear of bike plastics are toast below trunk and between bags. Looks like the bags and trunk are O.K. but of course will not know until the shop tears it apart. I'm totally bummed, been searching for just the right bike for over two years and was really starting to enjoy it as was the wife.

How hard is it to get replacement parts for this tupperware stuff? I rode it back to my R.V. so I know its nothing too bad and I think the trailer hitch took the brunt of the force, saving the rear drive/wheel. The bike goes to a Honda dealer a friend owns so I know it/I will be treated fairly.

Oh yea, the wife is fine but is out of work for a few weeks (self-employed manicurist). Thank god the kid has insurance!

Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I wish you and your wife well. I hope she has a speedy recovery. A lot of the parts you need are available on eBay.

·
Registered
365 Posts
:eek:Glad to hear you both didn't get more serious injuries! You just never know what others on the road will do.:(

As far as parts go, ebay has literally thousands for the 1500's. The 1500's had a 12 year run, so there are many out there.
Shop carefully, I've seen rads for example..one seller will list one (used of course) @ $150:eek:
Then a couple of pages later..you find a pair of rads for $65!..So do your homework & take your time...you can find nearly any part reasonably priced.
Get well soon.:)

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I want to read her blog on this !` I'm married to a hairstylist where " nothing " is her fault.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Sure hope your wife heals up quickly and well.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
i am bummed out just reading this. wishing you, your wife, and your wing a speedy recovery

·
Registered
473 Posts
Damn cagers! The wing is the best lit bike on the road from the rear, how do they miss it!? Glad to hear you are reletively OK, could have been worse. Get the bike fixed and get back out there, sooner the better. After my crash and burn, my wife wanted to wait a year, a new bike was in the garage less than 3 months. wait my a**!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Sorry to hear about the whole deal, hope the Lady heals quickly and things work out for you on the bike.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you weren't hurt any more than you were. I would guess the cost for repair will possibly total your 1989 Goldwing. Especially if the parts are not available.

There is Wing Enterprises in Oklahoma City that may have parts for your 1989 Wing.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Best of luck on all fronts.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Thankful you and your wife are okay. Things can be replaced, people are a lot harder. Hope the wing is fixed and your back on the road...

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Sorry to hear of this too. If they total your bike you can take the settlement and buy back your bike from the insurance company as salvage for pennies on the dollar and should have plenty of money to fix it, particularly if you do your own repairs. The plastic parts are easy to remove and replace. Good luck on your mission friend. Glad to hear it wasn't more serious. Every time I come to a stop my eyes scan the mirrors for approaching traffic from the rear and sometimes I bump the brake lever several times to flash the brake light and I try to leave myself a space in my lane formation as an escape from the cager that fails to see me. One of my previous bikes had a back off brake light modulator that would flash the rear brake lights when stopped. I've heard so many stories like yours about being rear ended; more than I prefer. Hope your wife heals soon and you get back in the saddle soon good buddy.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Sorry to see the another Grope has caused an off. Hopefully the damages are cosmetic only, and best wishes to your good wife for a quick recovery. Was the driver charged?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Really sorry to hear that this happened to you. I worry about getting hit from behind all the time and scan my mirrors anytime I am stopped to see who is arriving behind me. Like Dan B says I also tap my brake handle several times to let the person behind me see that I am there but at the same time I am ready to pull up between cars if it does not look like they're going to stop. I haven't had to actually do it yet......but I try to be ready in case I need to.

I hope your wife heals up quickly and the experience didn't spoil you or her from riding, although I could see how it might.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
May you and your family recover fast. Mental and physical. Get back out there soon...So many roads and so little time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. A texter rearended me on the freeway in 2009, It's difficult to avoid when it comes from behind. Hope you and your wife heal up without problems. Blake

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this and echo others in saying that I'm glad your wife's injuries weren't more serious.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My bike has the brake light modulator and I was holding the front brake to keep from rolling, pretty SOP for me; that's what makes it even more weird. I really think he was distracted (cell phone), probably making a date for Friday night (he's about 21).

Adjuster came by the house today and initially said about $1900.00, it goes to the dealer/friend's shop tomorrow so we'll see what he says. I know some of the rear lights and stuff are not stock so that has to be added in as well and the adjuster acknowledged that. Good news is that its a far cry from a total, NADA comes in about 4-5k so there's still some extra room to go. I've been thinking about the buy back/salvage title stuff as well, kills the value though but you do get dough in your pocket. I knew the 1500 had a long run, wasn't too sure how much it changed though.

The wife is pretty bummed and can't do much so she's real bored. Plus she was really starting to get the swing of riding on the back and was looking forward to day rides with our friends, looks like that will have to wait. Thanks for all the well wishes, all will be good!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.