Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a new wing- I'm shifting at 3,000 RPM then not going over that RPM when riding - is this about right??
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Sounds good. You can run it up higher as long as you don't red line it. Vary your speed as well for the first 1,000 miles. Most of all enjoy it. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That's about right, another thing is not to use the cruise control for about the first 500 miles, try not to keep at one speed for an extended period. Vary your speed a couple of MPH while on the freeway. There is no 600 mile service on the Gold Wing as many dealers will try to tell you, The first oil change is at 4,000 miles. BUT Most Gold Wing riders will change the oil and final drive fluid at 500 miles just to be on the safe side. Also check the air pressure in the tires, most dealers don't do a very good job of setting the bike up before you take deliver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All modern engines are broken in at the factory. Just take it easy for the first couple hundred miles to scuff the tires and break in the pads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
checking air pressure

I use to check my tire pressure at least once a week and almost always had to add a couple of pounds. Two months ago I had nitrogen put in the tires and have not had any tire pressure loss. The nitrogen does not seem to change even with altitude or temperture changes.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
Just joined as I picked up a new Wing last month. Keeping it smooth and easy and well below red line is what I have always been taught. The book says the same for the first 800 miles. I'll do that for about 1000 and then start seeing what it can do. Work and weather have conspired against a lot of riding so far but as long as it doesn't rain I'll be on it. That's the good thing about the deep south, we ride year round. I grew up in Michigan and in college we rode as long as there was no snow on the road.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The absolute worst thing you can do other than redlining is to lug the thing. Don't short shift it and put high loads on the engine and drive train. These babies are meant to rev so let it. Basically drive it like you plan to drive it always.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Break in newwing

Red, I kept mine under 4000rpm for 1000 miles. That is very easy to do. The dealers told me, and a few wing riders, there isnt such a pronounced break in period on a wing, just don't blow the cobbs out until about 3000 miles. I have 110,000 miles on it now and it runs like a top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts