Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping some of you have experienced this and have some suggestions. I just purchased an 09 Wing and sold my 07 Ultra Classic. Love the new Wing but I am getting the most intense pain at the base of my neck after 45 minutes or so. I have the stock seat and a Utopia back rest. I am willing to try about anything to relieve the issue. I enjoy long distance touring but until I can figure out what is causing the pain, it is out of the question. I never had one moments discomfort on the Ultra and I expect it has something to do with the seating/handlebar positions. I am 6'0/225. I don't know much about the benefits of handlebar risers and I am hesitant to spring for a new seat before I try less expensive options....it may not even be a seat issue. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
You might try experimenting with adjusting the handlebars. Many people I have worked with tend to have the bars too high. This can force you to hold your shoulders up to compensate for the high bars, which in turn can put pressure on the neck muscles. Try dropping the level of the bars, making sure the bar ends will clear your thighs when you are making tight parking lot or u-turns.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The only way to adjust the handlebars on the 1800 is to install a handlebar riser kit, the handlebars are not adjustable like on the 1500 Gold Wing. They are easy to do and the cost is cheap. Do you have highway pegs on the bike? For me the two best things are hioghway pegs and a backrest. Also you might want to try a seat cushion, it will raise you up some and that might help with your neck pain.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi alanoakley, you may want to consider the air flow issue. When I ride alone, the air flow pushes on my back...weird feeling since I was used to everything in my face. However, it didn't bother me much. I'm 6'1'' but skinny as a rake. I believe Kuryakyn has a product that may help you, a type of blocker that sits at the front of your trunk. Good luck, man, and ride safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found when I first tried a long ride on my 06 wing, my knees and neck were very sore. I considered buying new seat, but at $ 800 plus, I didn't want to take a chance and find out it wasn't the seat at all. What I did was , I took the seat into a upholsterer, he took off the seat cover , and cut back about 1 1/2 '', (that's about the most u can cut back) from the raised portion of the seat , so I could sit back a little further, contoured the seat , getting rid of those " wings" at the front of the seat, and raised the seat up with foam about 1''. What was odd, even having 1''foam added to give me more leg room, I found I could plant both feet flat on the pavement, which I couldn't do before. I'm only 5'9''. Hope this might help

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you ride with the stock windshield? Try raising it to it's max. You may be getting too much head winds which puts pressure on your neck, IMO..

Bingo

·
Registered
691 Posts
Might look at your posture. I have to remind myself to relax and keep my back straight, If not I feel like somone buryed an ax between my sholder blades. If you ride a while hunched over with your head forward you are putting a strain on your neck. Leaning back with your back arched will do the same for your back. I am 6' 1" and 254 lbs. did the same mod on the seat and it helps. Floor boards let me move around more and an Ortho delux seat pad with a sheep skin cover compleets the deal on my 1500. Have ridden an 1800 some and believe the floor boards would do the trick.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Alan, The guys have given you all good things to research. I'm going to comment on your problem in a different way. When I 1st got my Wing I had similar issues. Backrest & highwaypegs helped tremendously however on longer runs I still had the neck/back pain. Talked to my brother who had his Wing for years before me & he made the suggestion that I may be gripping the handle bars too tight. I tried it & darned if it didn't work. Relax on the bars you may find it helps.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Funny you should mention the " grip " issue, fossil. I just put the Grip Buster on my next WingStuff order. My throttle hand and arm gets the death grip cramp despite my best efforts to control it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Funny you should mention the " grip " issue, fossil. I just put the Grip Buster on my next WingStuff order. My throttle hand and arm gets the death grip cramp despite my best efforts to control it.
You will like that Chopin. It's nice to relax your hand once in a while. Don't know if you've ever noticed but when we are crusing on a 4 lane, I'll set the cruise and just sort of ride with the palms of my hand, even thow my hands over the grips & use my wrist. Works wonders for the back muscles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Being 5' 9 too I am able to use the wind shield to it's fullest you may have to change up to after market. The top of the shield should be at the bridge of your nose. Have someone take a picture of you on the road,, maybe it will show you something about how you are sitting.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
New Wing and Neck Pain

I first read this thinking this was a thanksgiving problem. I thought you had turkey issues.

Seriously, I had some comfort issues when I first stared riding a wing this year. Some of it was just conditioning my body to get used to the new positions and I think some was just plain tension as I was new to all differences of the bike. So many new buttons etc. Just a tho't.

But everyone here has given you good advice. I would suggest trying to imitate some things before you go on a spending spree i.e., but your heels on the pegs (as if the seat was rearward, palms on grips etc to see what is the real problem. The best thing for me was floorboards as highway pegs. It is radically different from the up position and gives me a completely different position. Didn't see what ride you have but the 1500s have adjustable handlebars as well.

If I get much more comfortable tho', I'm gonna fall asleep.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Installing the handle bar risers helped me a lot. The rest was taken care of with relaxation techniques. I found myself tightening up in the shoulders and once I got the bars where I liked them I was able to drop my shoulders and relax. Using the cruise as often as possible also helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
neck pain

I have a 2010 gl1800, and the first time I rode more than 400 miles in a day, I got really bad neck and shoulder pains. I realized that even though I am only 5'9" I was slightly hunched to reach the bars and could not sit back in the seat like I should.
Highway pegs helped a little, but the answer was handlebar shims that move the grips up 1 1/2 ' at the bar ends. I now sit up straight, and the tension is gone from my neck and shoulders.
Because of the different reach and posture, tight low-speed turns are easier and more accurate, too.
Wingstuff sells three different sets of shims. I used the least expensive set with great results, but since everyone is different, you should compare them carefully before you buy.
Comfy, safe riding!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had some neck pain on the right side. I traced it to braking, particularly when riding two up. I did the handlebar risers which make the geometry more comfortable for me (6'5"), but mostly I worked on doing more braking with my foot so I wasn't breaking and holding my weight back. You're supposed to use more front than rear brake in general, so I am neglecting that in favor of keeping my neck satisfied.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
My corbin seat fixed everything..... including the monkey butt that I got on 400 - 500 mile rides. My seat set me back a little farther from the bars and I can sit on my bike for 12 hours and get up the next day and do it again.

It also fixed my sex life as my girl friend started to enjoy the ride more so she comes along a little more often.

It also fixed my diet as I didn't have to stop as often...... so less snacking.

It also fixed my internet addiction....as the more I am on the motorcycle, the less I am posting on the Wing forums....

It has been the best upgrade that I have made on my bike except...... THE CAR TIRE that I put on the back of my motorcycle. Have I mentioned that on this forum?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought an 08 this spring. It had the Kuryakyn backrest already on the bike. I could never get comfortable. I had the seat redone. Thought my problems were solved until I rode from Ohio to Sturgis in August. Still uncomfortable. When I got back, I removed the backrest. Since I removed the backrest I have no problem with comfort between fill ups.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but I posted these results on an earlier test.
The test is complete...I wanted to give it more than one long ride to be sure. Put about 1200 miles into this test.
Items Tested:
Half Helmet(JVC) vs. Full Face(Fulmer)
The results were inconclusive...no major change in pain or discomfort.
Seat Cushion
Tried 2 different cushions: Sheep skin and a Wal-Mart Cushion.
I did not know that my shoulders were affected by the seat, but, I guess thats where the phrase "Get your a$$ off of your shoulders" came from.
Grip or Shoulder tension
To be honest, until this, I had not realized the amount my tension i had on the shoulders. I had concentrated on the grip but not the shoulders. This was the difference maker. I couldn't believe how much better the bike handled in sharp turns and slow maneuvers. I used this on the trip to the Dragon. My neck and shoulders had very little pain.
In summary:
I am not changing helmets. Relaxing my shoulders and arms have changed my life and I love the Wal-Mart Cushion. Thanks for all the tips.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but I posted these results on an earlier test.
The test is complete...I wanted to give it more than one long ride to be sure. Put about 1200 miles into this test.
Items Tested:
Half Helmet(JVC) vs. Full Face(Fulmer)
The results were inconclusive...no major change in pain or discomfort.
Seat Cushion
Tried 2 different cushions: Sheep skin and a Wal-Mart Cushion.
I did not know that my shoulders were affected by the seat, but, I guess thats where the phrase "Get your a$$ off of your shoulders" came from.
Grip or Shoulder tension
To be honest, until this, I had not realized the amount my tension i had on the shoulders. I had concentrated on the grip but not the shoulders. This was the difference maker. I couldn't believe how much better the bike handled in sharp turns and slow maneuvers. I used this on the trip to the Dragon. My neck and shoulders had very little pain.
In summary:
I am not changing helmets. Relaxing my shoulders and arms have changed my life and I love the Wal-Mart Cushion. Thanks for all the tips.
At ease, REF. Since all this came up I too have been focusing on my riding style. Dookoo mentioned " don't ride like a statue "; so now I do a little be-bop and exaggerate the turns . In short, go bananas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shoulder Pain

After 25 years as a Motor Officer, I began to notice that I had a SHARP pain right between my shoulder blades that I never noticed on the "street". This was whether I was on my Ultra, an ST1300, a BMW 1200RT, or now, my 2012 Goldwing.
After some thought, I finally realized that I never felt it on the "street" because I was constantly looking, moving my head, shifting on the saddle and turning. My pain started after a few hours of straight or freeway riding.
So, I started looking around more, moving about in the saddle, and loosening my grip. I still ride like a Motor Cop, back straight, arms slightly bent, head up, but am moving more and the pain very rarely shows up. By the way, the pain was cause by a pinched nerve brought on by muscles being in a fixed position too long.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts