Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum tonight. I have an "06" Venture that I have been riding since I got her new in Dec of "05". I have been going back and forth if it's time for a new bike and I am leaning strongly toward getting a Wing. I have heard nothing but good things about the bike. Would like to get some expert opinions here as far as going New or Slightly used. And about the Navi, I heard from someone once that it was not to good. And if anyone here has gone from a Venture to a Wing what could I expect overall.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The navi system on the Gold Wing is limited in what it can do, most people that have it end up getting a Garmin to use on the bike instead of the Honda unit. Save your money and get an aftermarket unit. There are some great deals on slightly used Gold Wings out there now. look around and you can save thousands over a new one. If the bike is still under Honda warranty than you can purchase an extended 4 year warranty from Honda Direct Line for $499...

·
Registered
5 Posts
new or used

I purchased mine (07) new could have saved a lot by going used I also paid the high price for navigation big mistake to hard to use a 300 dollar portable would work better and much easier Honda is a great bike but you must keep up the maintenance on it as any bike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi 2Whlsrollin,
Welcome to the forum.
I bought a new 2010 base model because I wanted a black one, and I did not want to deal with possibly getting into a used one with issues. I got burned on a 94 Aspencade years ago. It looked beautiful (candy red), low miles but found out later it had hit a deer and the front end was tweaked. That explained the weird handling at low speeds.
Not saying all used ones have problems. I believe most Wing owners pamper their rides more than any other model bike. Not like buying a crotch rocket that's had the snot beaten out of it.
I emailed a bunch of dealers within 300 miles of me, told them I was seriously looking, no trade in and I would get my own financing. I ended up buying from the one dealer that quoted me the lowest price in an email (move on if they quote you MSRP). Called him to follow up and they knocked more money off when I stepped into their showroom. If you buy from a dealer, have them give you a tour of their shop. I was impressed with the people at my dealer and how well it was run. Service manager went all through mine when I picked it up - NICE.
There are definitely some sweet deals on late model used Wings, and new older models out there. Just take your time and do a little shopping.
I would stay away from the NAVI model unless you find an incredible deal. I have heard nothing good about the built in GPS.
Overall, IMHO, there is NOTHING that beats a GL1800 and I think most on this forum would agree.
Rob

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Looks like the guys have given you some sound advice. New or used, you will enjoy a new Wing. Some leftover 08/09's still out there at good prices. Hope you find the right Wing for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
New to the forum tonight. I have an "06" Venture that I have been riding since I got her new in Dec of "05". I have been going back and forth if it's time for a new bike and I am leaning strongly toward getting a Wing. I have heard nothing but good things about the bike. Would like to get some expert opinions here as far as going New or Slightly used. And about the Navi, I heard from someone once that it was not to good. And if anyone here has gone from a Venture to a Wing what could I expect overall.

Thanks
Hi
I got my first wing only a few months ago. A Silver 06 ABS Comfort pac....i think they called it.27,000 kms/one owner. (the price wont mean anything to you ,because I'm in Australia) But What a Bike ! The only difference between mine and a brand new one is the nav system, and from all I've heard, I am lucky that it didn't have it. I bought an after market GPS unit and a Ram mount specially for the wing and I'm good to go.Saved Many thousands of $$ going second hand and if you rode mine and a new one you couldn't tell the difference.Go for the wing with confidence. I wouldn't ride anything else now. Of course,every time we stop for a break now, all the cruiser guys crowd around my bike,supposedly looking for the beer fridge or the coffee dispenser...lol
Go for it...you'll never look back
Cheers
Graham from oz

·
Registered
793 Posts
When the right one comes along you'll know. It will be the color you want and in the price range you want. IMO - ABS is ok, NAV package- easy aftermarket upgrade, i use my iphone gps. Heated grips and seat - personal choice, the rest is up to you. There are quite a few deals out there now

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the input. This has been helpful and has enlightened me so I can make a more informed decision.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have both a 2010 GW with the Navi and a 2009 trike GW without the Navi. The Navi is a bit of a disapointment but certainly much better than nothing. I'm ordering a GPS for the trike but they aren't cheap ($600). Using the cheaper GPSs, the screen typically is not readable in sunlight nor are they weatherproof. I've tried my Garman Nuvi 660 on the trike and it's worthless in daylight.

Another advantage of the builtin Navi is that you don't have to worry about it being stolen. You don't have to disconnect the GPS and take it with you every time you stop.

The Navi comes with XM radio. Generally the reception is poor and I do not plan on renewing it once the 3 month free trial is up.

Ken

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I bought my '08, I had two options: a new '08 left over from the previous year, or a private party '08 with only 366 miles on it. The new Wing was priced $1000 more than the used bike and I would have had to pay an additional $1660 for sales tax.

I bought the used bike and saved a total of $2660 over the cost of the new one, since private party sales are exempt from sales tax here in Nevada. With 366 miles, it was essentially a new bike anyway. Then, like Joe says, I bought the extra four years of coverage from Direct Line Parts for $449 (during their 4th of July sale).

Mine has the nav which works fine for me although many are unhappy with it. If it becomes necessary, I'll buy an aftermarket unit with updated maps.

What ever you buy, if it's a Wing, you'll love it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's in the Garage

Well it did not take long. I wound up buying an "08" Audio/Comfort that was originally purchase July of "09". It only has 4500 miles and 2 years left on the warranty. Beautiful bike. So I want to thank you guys in advace for your patience for the questions I will throw out here. These forums are a valuable tool. I have already posted my first question in the tires and wheel section.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Titanium is a beautiful color... and it really stands out when it's parked next to a Pearl White Wing. :)

Sorry Chopin, but I had to beat you to it. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts