Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i am looking into getting a 2012 goldwing i have done a lot of research and have spoken to current GW owners and have searched the forum but have not found a situation similar to mine.I currently ride a 2009 CBR 1000RR and I love it! But the wife not so much and I would like for her to go along sometimes, I am not sure i will be getting rid of the CBR but i would like to know anyones thoughts who has made a similar switch especially in the areas of performance,I know the comfort is there. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, i know the speed and power are not the same but i hear that they are very nimble, dare i say flickable but my concern is on what is that statement compared too, HD's? I had a Softtail and i can honestly say i think i was caught up in the HD thing when i got it but then i realized they are down on power, braking handling, in my opinion almost everything that really matters to a rider maybe not an owner but definitely a rider.Needless to say it was gone rather quickly and i have been on CBR's ever since.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There is no comparison twixt a HD and a Wing.
I owned 4 HD's, 2 of which were Ultras. I enjoyed both. They are good touring bikes.
As a matter of fact, I think the seating position and being able to put your feet forward on the foot boards are superior to the Wing.
That's about the only + an Ultra has over a Wing IMHO.
But then the CB and a CD player are also standard on the Ultra!
The "ride" of a Wing is better.
Wing= regular unleaded HD = Premium unleaded
It comes down to personal preference.
If I were on 2 wheels, I could enjoy either one immensely.
Would need to spend $$ on the HD to help reduce the heat and make the engine run right.
Would need to spend $$ on the Wing to control the wind buffeting and get a comfortable seat and to improve the suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, from what i have noticed foot position on the GW is a little odd but compared to the CBR its roomy.But i guess i can just put pegs on the highway bars. the new GW has an IPOD jack so the lack of CD is OK with me but the cost of CB does kinda make me wonder why its not just there? As far as your statement about wind buffeting what issues have you had?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The buffeting is mostly a passenger problem! My wife is 5'8". It took the following to get calm enough air around her for her to enjoy the Wing more than the Ultra!
1. 2"Wider&3"taller windshield in the up position
2. Baker mirror wings
3.Baker upper & lower air wings.
We open the mirror wings and the upper portion of the air wings in the summer on hot days.

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
chris g, good to have you on board. We have a good group here & won't have any problem with you asking as many questions as you like.

The one thing that I would add to this is that although without any doubt your wife will be estatic with the change you may want to find one to test ride for yourself. It will be hugely different than your CBR (Not bad but different) & it is worth trying one before making the purchase. There are many Wing owners that own at least one other bike so they can still do the riding they enjoy that you won't probably do with the little lady on the back of the Wing.

Good Luck on your quest & Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello chris, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
It's only an old man's bike if you ride it like one. Can you flick it with a finger into the turn? It's a 1,000 lb bike. The CBR 1000 is no light weight either and actually an over kill bike for the kind of riding it was meant to be used for except on a race track. You are only 800 cc short of a Goldwing. Yes sir. The Goldwing is a sport bike tourer.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If you want to keep the little Lady happy put arm rest on the wing for her. Adds to the comfort and a secure feeling.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Chris. Pretty much ditto on what has been said so far. Lots of members here will tell you that the Utopia backrest (me incl) is a real plus in the seating dept, and Highway begs/boards are almost a necessity (many owners with the Kury Ergo's). I'd hang onto the CBR if you can, if you notice I have an RC51 as a second ride, and there are just times when I have to go out on the rocket. Wings are simply amazing for a large dressed land yacht, if you haven't already look up Dookoo's thread about his track exploits on his and his pal's Wing's.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Chris, from way down south in Texas.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Get yourself a Goldwing sit back and enjoy riding through the great scenery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife told me to buy the Goldwing because of the comfortable seating on the 2010 model. I have owned an ST1300 (2006), two BMWs, Kawasaki Concours and Classic 1500 and more. The GL1800 is a once in a lifetime bike to own. It is all things to all riders. Fast, nimble, quiet, comfortable, economical (regular fuel), good looking, dependable and can sport accessories equal to or more than the original purchase price. We are retired and at this moment staying in Washington DC as we work our way to Florida for the winter. The only minor issues are the manual operated windshield, the GPS that has no MPH digital reading on the screen and the lag time on the cruise control. No HD or other bike is that perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok i'm gonna rent one and take momma on full day ride and i will go from there. You are all very helpful and i appreciate it. Stay shiny side up!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome to the forum chris, good luck on your endevour. SO and I are on our 5th GL, starting with a 1000 and now on an 1800, we were 35 when we got our first, hard to ride anything else, riding 1up is a good time, even better when your can share it with your partner!:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts