Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the bug again to get back on two wheels. Used to ride eveyday in the late 60's up thru the middle to late 80's. Rode with SRRA out of San Fran and had a blast. But had to settle down and grab a bit of fatherly maturity, ya know what I mean. Anyway have been looking for about a year and a half at all kinds of bikes and noticed a few things.
1. Here in Texas/Houston there seems to be an abundance of 1982 wings for sale. Prices running from $1,000.00 to $4,000.00. Whats up with that? Is there something unique about an 82?
2. My only real experience with wings is as a Service Manager at a Honda dealership the year before and the first year of the wing hitting the market. So I'm a dummy about what to expect as far as maintenance and what to look out for on pre-owned wings. For instance, is there a certain mileage for a wing to have when you should expect to need those belts changed? Also it seems that quite a few pre-owned seemed to have some issue with the charging system/stator. Is this normal? Any idea's, guidance, or suggestions on what to look for when buying a wing would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited about getting back on the road.
Oh, one other thing. I also need ideas about changing the misconception the wife/HOUSE BOSS (If you know what I mean guy's-Ha!)has that ALL motorcycles lead to immediate death!!!! A month ago I conned her onto my brother-in-laws GL1800 and before we got off the driveway she was ringing wet with sweat and her face was solid white! That ride lasted about fifteen minutes at a top speed of about 40MPH. When I asked her how she felt about the ride she replied," Oh , it was just wonderful dear. You can bet I won't be doing that again real soon.
God Bless Ya'll
Mark.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Mark,

The only real reason you are seeing abundance of 82 is simply people upgrading to 1500 or 1800 in my opinion. As far as belts the consensus seems to be around 50k or so. The stator issues were something to be aware of only because the engine case had to be split to deal with them. The Wings will routinely be seen with well over 100k & even 200k on them. Routine maintenance is the key.

Check out this site for info:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

Now the wife thing I'm afraid I can't really help with. Mine has been on the back of one of my bikes since she's 17 & this year she will be hitting the big 50. So alot of times I can't even get the 1500 out without her on it. My advice would be short trips to get her acclimated & don't do anything to spook her.

Hope this helps & Welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Welcome to the board. My suggestion would be for both of you to sign up for a motorcycle safty course. They provide the bikes which are smaller and easier to handle and she may find that they are enjoyable to ride and will feel more safe/secure on one.

Of course another thought is maybe she does not trust your driving....LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Howdy ... I Like 2-wheels Thoughts On The Safety Course ... And Maybe You Could Get Her A Little Driving Time On A Smaller Bike That She Feels Good About ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi mw, welcome to the site. There are a couple of articles in the latest edition of Wing World magazine. One on what a passenger experiences and another on making your House Boss want to ride. Its a magazine published by the Gold Wing Road Riders Association....just google it to find more info. The article may be online otherwise you may want to contact your local chapter of the GWWRA which you can do through the website. Good luck with The Boss !
By the way, have you mentioned new motorcycle clothes, boots, accessories that she would have to buy :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took the basic rider course with my better half 2 years. I was already very comfortable with the bike (at that time a 2006 vStar 1100) but wanted her to get comfy. It made all the difference in the world. She's been so eager to ride more, longer trips we went out last weekend and bought our first GL1800.

Only suggestion I have is to be very sure you're comfortable on the bike before toting her around again. Any hesitance, reluctance, fear on your part will be very apparent to the one who knows you best.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The other thing is to take her somewhere she wants to go where parking and traffic are issues. Once she sees the bike can cut through traffic like a hot knife through butter and you can park right next to the event/store/whatever your spouse will want more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome, MW from another newbie to the forum. Matter of fact, my first Wing was in Houston, 1st year they were out, tho' it was my brother who bought it initially.

Thought I'd address the year question you had (have no experience, yet with my HOME Boss on my new-to-me wing).

I decided that I'd shop an '84 or better because of several factors, the most important being the hydraulic clutch.

It's an amazing improvement in shifting, IMHO, and may make the difference between enjoying getting up to speed and the ol' left hand giving you fits before you hit the open road.

Good input on the basic riders' course; my sweetie may actually enjoy that if we take it together! Thanks to everyone who suggested that!

Just my 2 cents. -s

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello and welcome. On the timing belts, there are many threads on that issue. 50K miles is a very very conservative estimate. Many others are using 80K/8 years as a more reasonable requirement, or even longer. The Honda manual on my GL1500 says inspect every 100,000 miles. That's all.

On the wife issue, if she doesn't want to come with you, no amount of "change management" will make it happen. So, be prepared to ride by yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts