Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My name is Charlie, I am from Indiana and just acquired a 1982 Gl1100 Interstate with just over 40,000 miles. I was not in the market for a Goldwing but my dad found this one at a house he was selling and I got it for $1,000 bucks I thought it seemed like a good deal!

I'm looking forward to learning about these bikes and fixing it up.
So I came here to get advice from the people who love them the most. What are the first things I should look at on these bikes for repair. It runs good (from what I can tell). I've had it for 2 days and it starts right up every time.

So what things should I look at first?
Any specific threads I should read to get me started?
General advice?
Cleaning tips, I have some bubbles around the stripe decals.

Thanks!
Here is a pic of it. I'll get better ones later but this is all I have right now.

OH and this is not my first bike. I grew up on dirt bikes and am used to cb750 style bikes. I've never riden one this large until the other day :p but is was quite comfortable.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF...There are some great minds around here....and some that are a little suspect. If you ever have anything specific, help is just around the corner.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Congrats on your, new to you Wing.Sounds like a $1000 bucks was a good deal.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland , I'm one of those suspect minds , I can't help you with repairs but I can tell you what kind of wine goes good with your diner

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello charlie, welcome to GWOF. first thing you want to change are the timing belts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello charlie, welcome to GWOF. first thing you want to change are the timing belts
I'm assuming then that we have some interference engines then. Good to know! He did not drive it much so I'll have to take a look at it.

Thanks for the welcomes!

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new 2u wing. Looks really nice. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome along Charlie!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
Best thing to do is change the fluids too.
+1 on timing belts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome Charlie, good looking classic I too am from Indiana. Where do you live in the hoosier state? Good luck with the bike and be safe.:D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Congrats Charlie! Word of caution when pumping air into the rear shock...use a hand pump not a service station one.
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland , I'm one of those suspect minds , I can't help you with repairs but I can tell you what kind of wine goes good with your diner
It looks like [GORDO] and I are one of the same kind. Except I live Down Under. So what would you expect.
Welcome to GWOF, I think you have a great bike and it should give you a lot of fun miles
Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome Charlie, good looking classic I too am from Indiana. Where do you live in the hoosier state? Good luck with the bike and be safe.:D
I live in Columbus but go to school in Anderson. Right now my bike is in Columbus until I get it plated/insured then I'll probably take it back and forth between the two.

Congrats Charlie! Word of caution when pumping air into the rear shock...use a hand pump not a service station one.
Ride safe,
Strat
Yeah the previous owner told me how quickly the air fills/escapes. Good call on the hand pump, that will be much easier to control!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well as soon as I came I'm now gone (maybe not forever though!). I traded the goldwing today for a 1973 CB750F. I love it! It is the bike I always wanted. Here are a few pics

This thing is clean! Thanks for the welcomes and I'm sure someday I'll be back!

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Nice looking 750. Stick around for a while. The Goldwing bug will bite again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took me a minute to get that ^^ haha I think I got it now :p
I know I'll be back. I do love Goldwings but is not really what I need right now (not that I "need" either ha). I've always wanted a cb750 and my next favorite are the goldwings so I'll be back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts