Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first GW GL1800. It took three other bikes to get it right, Two were Honda's, Night Hawk 750 and VTX1300R. The Black sheep was a HD Ultra. I don't miss that bike and all the repairs...

The TPMS light is always on. How do I get this to turn off without replacing the sensors; or is that not an option?

I'm looking forward to learning from this group.

Ron

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. You don't say what year your bike is. Check pressure in your tires as a start. If they are good you may need batteries in your sensors. Others should be along with ideas. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
mine is always on as well (2013), I never liked the way it worked anyways, didn't trust it and the weird stuff it did sometimes, I know the batteries are dead.
I have replaced the sensors and their integrated valve stems to just the plain old school chrome/brass 90 degree stems and have just learned to ignore that far left orange light.
Haven't tried to see if I can make it turn off, I figure it is not an option.

·
Registered
2012 gl1800
1,395 Posts
Mine has been on for a year now, 2012 model. Of course it happened right after I had tires replaced. I just ignore the light. The problem right now is the sensors are back ordered almost everywhere. If the yellow TPMS light is on there is a good chance one or both of the sensors is bad. Low pressure will give you a blinking light.
The batteries can be replaced but if you are not comfortable with disassembling them and soldering in new batteries, I would just wait until they are again available. Just keep an eye on the tire pressure for now.
There is a way to turn the light off, but it requires cutting and splicing wires.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
this is the only thing that I own that has a TPMS, so I just continue my usual Sunday ritual, Check air pressure in anything that will probably hit the road that week
of course, for me it is easy.....just throw the air hose out my shop door, have enough to reach all the vehicles or just grab the pancake if it is just the bike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bought my first GW GL1800. It took three other bikes to get it right, Two were Honda's, Night Hawk 750 and VTX1300R. The Black sheep was a HD Ultra. I don't miss that bike and all the repairs...

The TPMS light is always on. How do I get this to turn off without replacing the sensors; or is that not an option?

I'm looking forward to learning from this group.

Ron
Forgot the year...its a 2012.

·
Super Moderator
10,482 Posts
In most cases doing a routine manual check of tire pressure is the best solution to TPMS issues. Unless you want to replace both sensors, I say check your tires frequently and put black tape over the light. LOL.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the TPMS sensor batteries yet but I have read that the batteries last about 8 to 10 years. Maybe yours are due for replacement. Of course, Honda recommends replacing the entire sensor and they say that battery replacement is not a viable option.

If you are like a good percentage of us, you like to do your own maintenance. The battery replacement is not hard to do but it does require that the tire be removed from the wheel.
Take a look at this You Tube video Replacing TPMS sensor on 2009 - 2017 Honda Gold Wing

Or, you can do what I did. I bypassed the TPMS system with a TPMS Disabler, a plug and play unit from Electrical Connection. The disabler is not on their website. If you want to buy one, you need to call them and ask for it. Phone number is 434-263-8866 or 434-263-6500. I think it was extension 30. If not, ask for Will. Be sure to mention the year Wing you have. It cost me $35.00 plus $10.50 for shipping and well worth it. I think this thing is on their website but I could not find it. Best to just call them direct.

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
276 Posts
I appreciate your help but mine is already done I did mine 3 or 4 years ago
Yes, I read that you had yours rewired already. Post #10 was mostly for the original poster who was asking what can be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Light is on on my new to me 2010 and I will leave it on. I will be replacing tires soon with darkside rear and will replace valve stems with metal 90 degree. Very used to checking pressures and will cover the blasted TPMS light with a bit of tape. Thought about replacing the batteries, but I like to use Quad Boss (same as Ride ON) for balancing and not sure either is friendly with TPMS valves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In most cases doing a routine manual check of tire pressure is the best solution to TPMS issues. Unless you want to replace both sensors, I say check your tires frequently and put black tape over the light. LOL.
Bingo! I put two pieces of electrical tape stacked one above the other and that overly-bright TPMS light disappears. My tires don’t leak air but I still check the psi before long rides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts