Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm going to look at a 2001 wing this week-end. I'm very new to the goldwings, but decided that I would like to buy a 2001 or newer.Let me knowif there any thing that I should check out or look for. How would I know if this bike is set up for the intercom? If it is ready for the intercom system, can a person purchase it for the helmets we have or will we need special helmets. Any information for someone new to the wing world would be great. My email is [email protected]. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Where is home for you? On the 2001 Wing you need to make sure all recalls were done. Early Wings 2001-2005 had issues with cracked frames and coolant. If those were done then the next thing would be to make sure the bike was well maintained and oil changed at correct intervals. If the seller has maint records that would be helpfull too. If you get the VIN# and take it to a Honda dealer he can verify that the recalls were done. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF mckid

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Hi Welcome: I'm a new guy too.... From my understanding starting with the 2002 modle there were sinificant changes in the suspension, and of course the fairings.. also I would check to see if it's a 1500 or an 1800... after market addons are quite different.. You should be able to find J&M helmt sound systems for almost any size, may have to install them your self, some delars will offer to send them out to have the sound system installed. Just make sure the connections from the bike match.. I made that mistake when buying a used helmit with sound suystem, was not compadable with my cords. Cost to rectify over $100.00...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you where asking, but the intercom is fitted as standard to all 1800 models, you need to buy the headsets and a lead to connect the headsets to the bike, but the intercom is installed and wired up on all 1800's. The CB radio and CD player are options that you will need to ask about, but the intercom is always there. You do not have to buy the headsets and leads for the intercom from Honda, there are several after market brands available and you just fit them to your helmet, some manufacturers even offer head sets for people that don't wear a helmet (I wouldn't recomend that practice!).
As mentioned get the Vin# and go to a local Honda dealer and check that it has had all the recals, particularly the reinforced welding for the frame..

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the information. I'm going to my dealer to check out the recalls on this vin #. How will I know if the one I'm looking at has the ABS system on it. Thanks again for the information

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If you look at the bike from the front, look at the front wheel left side hub. If it's an ABS model, there will be a ring gear about 3" or so in diameter there. It's part of the ABS/speed sensor set-up. No ring gear, no ABS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts