Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade Limited Edition.
70 Posts
Just a heads up. The reason for the two different wiring diagrams are due to there being both a carb version and a fuel injected version. The EFI bikes have a fuse box on top of the air box underneath their travel computer. Since yours is a "regular" Aspencade, your fuse box will be in the normal location. It's been a very long time since I had my 84, so my recollection on where is all but kaput. Enjoy resurrecting it. Another thing to do, because one must always do is a timing belt swap. Cheap insurance to replacing an expensive engine. It's not horribly difficult to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
There are several GL1200 variants - Standard, Interstate, Aspencade '84-'87 with Ltd '85 and SEi '86

I've been looking into the '86 Aspencade's turn signals, specifically the self-cancelling function. Various shop manuals show the system has a motion sensor inside the triple clamp, with wires running to a controller (black box) , located beside the battery or below the ignition coils. That area under the coils wasn't visible on this bike without taking the rest of the front fairing off. (obsolete audio and communications cruft was removed and likely won't be going back on).

But there's no turn signal controller box on this bike. Online search turned up some posts from goldwingfacts.com pointing out that on 85-87 models a redesigned motion sensor unit eliminates the separate controller box. The various shop manuals I have don't show this subject accurately. The eBay motion sensor I bought 35220 M69-681 said it fits 84-87 - but there must be two versions of the motion sensor unit either for '84 or '85-'87? Can't really test without putting the fairing back on - may get more time later this week.

What's the interval for timing belts on these? Odo shows 90k
I think of Honda cars as being around that....
All comments & ideas welcome - thanks, Arby

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
10 years or 100k miles
interference engine...... so it is a cheap prevent of catastrophy

21 - 23 of 23 Posts