Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings group - from a new member. I'm coming to Goldwings by an unusual route.

A friend has "inherited" a 1984 (or 1985?) GL1200 from a former renter of his warehouse space. The bike was owned by the renter's family member - who is now deceased. The bike had been used and loved for years - but its directional lights had stopped functioning correctly and the owner (an enthusiast) had taken several "top layer" pieces off attempting to access, diagnose and fix it. Unfortunately he didn't get that far before he became unable to work on it.

Fast forward to today - I'd like to help its new owner (my friend) reassemble the bike in running condition. I don't think it needs a huge amount of work - I just don't know what I'm looking at. I myself am more at home working on my cars, tractors, and my Yamaha FJR.

I've assembled a few manuals covering the mid-80's Goldwings and I have a few questions someone here could maybe comment on. The bike has rear cases that carry the Aspencade emblem - but it has a fuse box in the center area, not a fuse/relay box on the left side. So it presents more as an Interstate model? It also has cornering lights on brackets (not faired in) - features it maybe wasn't born with?

All the removed parts have been neatly kept together - so I believe its all there. What I really need is somebody who knows these models to give me a few pointers on how to get started. So far I've charged its Yusasa battery (which has returned to life) and aired up the tires so I it rolls better. On the right handlebar there's a multi-button box where I was expecting a starter button - so with key-on the dash lights up but where's the starter button? (Maybe in the pile of removed stuff?). Thanks for reading this far. Looking forward to any and all responses - Thanks and take care, Arby

·
Registered
582 Posts
Greetings group - from a new member. I'm coming to Goldwings by an unusual route.

A friend has "inherited" a 1984 (or 1985?) GL1200 from a former renter of his warehouse space. The bike was owned by the renter's family member - who is now deceased. The bike had been used and loved for years - but its directional lights had stopped functioning correctly and the owner (an enthusiast) had taken several "top layer" pieces off attempting to access, diagnose and fix it. Unfortunately he didn't get that far before he became unable to work on it.

Fast forward to today - I'd like to help its new owner (my friend) reassemble the bike in running condition. I don't think it needs a huge amount of work - I just don't know what I'm looking at. I myself am more at home working on my cars, tractors, and my Yamaha FJR.

I've assembled a few manuals covering the mid-80's Goldwings and I have a few questions someone here could maybe comment on. The bike has rear cases that carry the Aspencade emblem - but it has a fuse box in the center area, not a fuse/relay box on the left side. So it presents more as an Interstate model? It also has cornering lights on brackets (not faired in) - features it maybe wasn't born with?

All the removed parts have been neatly kept together - so I believe its all there. What I really need is somebody who knows these models to give me a few pointers on how to get started. So far I've charged its Yusasa battery (which has returned to life) and aired up the tires so I it rolls better. On the right handlebar there's a multi-button box where I was expecting a starter button - so with key-on the dash lights up but where's the starter button? (Maybe in the pile of removed stuff?). Thanks for reading this far. Looking forward to any and all responses - Thanks and take care, Arby
Can you post some pictures to help us help you? your starter button should be right on the right handlebar switch pack.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We have several members that are very familiar with classic Wings and can help you.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Super Moderator
10,374 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from NE Pa. Enjoy the forum. I'm sure somebody will be able to help with your questions.

·
Premium Member
11,381 Posts
The 1984 Aspencade has the blinkers and brake lights at the bottom of the saddle bags on the back and in the front of the flaring on the front. So at a guess you have a Standard 1200 that didn't come with saddle bags or flaring. On the 1200 Aspencade fuses are under false tank over the coils.

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran the VIN online - its listed as a 1986. Is there a website that ties the VIN to a Honda Model? Here are a few pics - (need new phone lesson)
Found the start button behind the cruise controls. No idea what the upper switches do.

Let me know what other pics would help.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Flag Motor vehicle Window

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a better picture now - the bike is indeed a 1986 Aspencade GL1200A, with a few farkles but mostly stock. Knowing its an 86 clears up the issue of which motion sensor it has in the triple clamp for turn signal cancelling. There was an earlier version in the 84 and some 85's but the correct part number for the 86 listed in the parts catalog is 35220 M69-681 (now discontinued). There was a used one on eBay so I bought it. Hope it does the trick with everything reconnected and in place correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's definitely an 86' Aspencade, my last bike was the same bike, even the same color scheme. The only fuse box I knew of was under the center compartment about the airbox. I see it has an addon Cruise control unit and with all the lights, I would hope the last owner added a supplement of fuse box somewhere??? Check for added connections either to the battery directly or from the ACC terminals on the fuse box. FYI, I have an old service manual you can have if you want it, just message me with your address information and I will send it right out. The cover is well used, but pages are in good condition.

·
Registered
871 Posts
For replacement parts I have used randakks with success. Mine are older but they may have stuff for yours. Good luck. I have a 77 that has everything on it sold for Goldwings between then and now. I have to replace the timing belts and it will take me a week to get everything off to get to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts