Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have finally decided it is time for a Goldwing. I currently ride an ST1300 that I love just about everything about it except long distance touring. I have tried 3 seats and it just doesn't work for me. I had a Honda Magna before that and it served me well. I am eyeing 2 bikes right now a 2001 with 50k and a 96 with 70k. The 96 is about half the price but the 01 is more what what I am looking for but over what I want to pay. I'm not sure which I am going to get but hopefully I'll be a new GW owner by Monday.

·
Registered
334 Posts
AS far as the 96 with 70k as long as the po has taken care of it,ie fluids,belts and tires it is just starting to get broke in. I have a 96 aspy that I bought last sept. only had 17k on it but I love it. Dont know much about the 2001 but if its priced to hi Id take the 96. Just my two cents. Hal

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
hello magnaryder, welcome to GWOF. lots of folk here still ride 1500 wings and i'm one of them

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You can never go wrong with a well maintained GL1500.
Goldwings if well taken care of can last for 300,000 miles and beyond.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You can never go wrong with a well maintained GL1500.
Goldwings if well taken care of can last for 300,000 miles and beyond.
I agree 100%!

My brother-in-law has a 98 GL1500 and she's a beautiful ride! He was thinking about upgrading to an 1800 but after more research, he's keeping the 1500 and adding all kinds of goodies and options to her. She's a very comfortable bike. ;)

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF Magna from PA. & as the others have said either bike sounds great & should work fine. I would not even think twice about buying another 1500. I loved mine that much.

An Ole Fossil says go with the one that sings to you the ride me song.:D

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa.

·
Premium Member
24,117 Posts
That's a toss up. The '01 was the first redesigned Wing and not without some recalls . Make sure the frame recall was done. How much are they asking for the '01 ?

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa.
Like the 3 good looking guys above me said welcome and a wing that has been taken care of will go for well over 200K you should be happy with the 1 you take.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the welcomes! They want 9,000 for the 01 and all of the recalls have been addressed and 4,500 for the 96. The 96 is from a dealer that traded it in so no service history on that one, but it is in really good condition. If I bought that one, I would have to add in the expense of changing all of the fluids, belts, and hoses as a precautionary measure.

·
Premium Member
24,117 Posts
Still a tough call. I guess it gets down to color choice. Consider both their respective miles as being about equal ( neither one has been used much considering their years ).

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Thanks for all of the welcomes! They want 9,000 for the 01 and all of the recalls have been addressed and 4,500 for the 96. The 96 is from a dealer that traded it in so no service history on that one, but it is in really good condition. If I bought that one, I would have to add in the expense of changing all of the fluids, belts, and hoses as a precautionary measure.
Hmmm just one Ole Fossil's second opinion on the matter.

The one that fits the budget.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
At those prices I would stick with the '96. If you're a taller person, the 1500 will fit you better.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Registered
334 Posts
And yes if the 96 is red (the fastest color) then go for it. Fluid, belts and tires are not that expensive and are a good piece mind to do on any bike. Even if some one tells you all the fluids and belts were just done if they can not prove it then do it your self. As it will help you learn your bike and you will know it has been done. Hope you find the one that sings to you as was stated by another member. Good luck Hal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I ended up getting the 96, I was the winning bidder on eBay and it was much closer. Plus I am taller at 6'. I will be picking this bike up tomorrow from the dealer and riding it back home. I plan on changing the engine oil, rear diff fluid, clutch and brake fluid, and coolant while I am replacing the timing belts. I also plan on changing the coolant hoses and Tstat. Anything else I may have missed or is this better discussed in the main forum?
I'll post some pics once I get it home. :)

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you wing and welcome to GWOF.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Good for you & Welcome again to the World of Wingdom.:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Welcome Magna. The 1800 is a tad high by my books, but the '96 is a great buy (especially if it's an SE). Either one will serve you well, welcome to the site.:D

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
It all depends on your wants the 1800 is more sporting and faster , the 1500 rides better in a touring mode only. pure comfort I say 1500 all the way , sport big with you Then go 1800 however the 01 may be over priced ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.