Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Goldwingers. Been riding 50 years off and on, but now I'm taking on a project of resurrecting a 83 GL1100 that has sat unused in a garage for the last 18 years. I've never worked on a Goldwing before so I'm sure I can use some help. I've been a mechanic of one kind or another for most my life, so I'm not without some skills. The Goldwing was in good shape when parked, but the owner died suddenly and the bike just sat there. About 10 years ago I helped move the bike to a new location and while I was there pulled the sparkplugs and shot some oil in the cylinders and cranked it over a few times. It has not been touched since. So my plans are to replace the timing belts, clean the gas tank and replace the fuel lines and put kits in the carbs. The brake hydraulics are a mess. If anyone has some suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them. I'm not sure if I should get the timing belt kit with water pump and tensioners, or just do the belts.
Thanks for the welcome. Chris
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
Welcome to the forum and wishing you miles of smiles.馃榿 I would suggest that you do the water pump and belts as it has been sitting for so long. But before you start to buy parts I would try to see if the engine is free and in good shape with a compression and leak down test.

Reactions: Shaffer and Limpy45

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Shaffer and Limpy45

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum from Maryland

Reactions: Shaffer

Super Moderator
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Looks like you have a great project ahead of you, but it will be well worth it when you finish.

Registered
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Administrator
Welcome to you from Mississippi. There are a few here working on the older bikes to keep them on the road. I'm sure they will be along to help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I just noticed today that the wheels are wrong for a 83 Wing, I was told it's a 83. But it looks like the parts are all the same for the models years 81 to 83, so I hope I didn't get anything wrong. There's a lot of work to be done, but I'm a little worried about the carbs, there are so many parts and linkage, I think I'll be taking lots of pictures.
Chris

Registered
Your bike is not an '83. Look at the plate that's attached to the stem. That'll show you what year it is. Doesn't the title show you the model year? I had an '83 for 37 years, so I'm not able to help you on your pre-'83 model. But the advice given above is sound.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Your bike is not an '83. Look at the plate that's attached to the stem. That'll show you what year it is. Doesn't the title show you the model year? I had an '83 for 37 years, so I'm not able to help you on your pre-'83 model. But the advice given above is sound.
I'm an American living in Germany and I can't speak German, so that's why I'm in a English forum. My wife inherited the Goldwing and she told me it's an 83, but in Germany they have a strange way of doing the registration. Instead of using the actual model year of the vehicle, they use the first year the vehicle was registered as model year. So even a unused bike from 81 can be on paper as an 83. The Id tag is on the bottom frame rail up against the wall where I can't see it. I need to rearrange the garage a bit and by then all my parts should be here. Then I'll have the bike out where I can work on it and see the Id tag. I realized it's not an 83 after reading other posts and seeing pictures.
Chris

Registered
Welcome Shaffer, I have a 1980 GL 1100. I think the model years ran 1980, 81,82,and 83. Like some of the previous members have said. Look on the stem. It'll have all the info you'll need on the plate attached. My advice to you is to go through the bike one section at a time. Don't overlook anything and take care of whatever you find that's either worn or incorrect. There are plenty of sites where you can find the parts needed to get her back to a nice rider. If I can help you out with questions you may have please ask. Good luck.

Registered
For the brakes, get lots of brake cleaner spray cans for a start. I have done some on older Wings that were disgusting dirty and corroded. Plus brake fluid (?) that looked like old honey, all gooey and sticky! Flushed everything out and carefully cleaned pistons, bores of calipers and even brake lines. Bike actually ran when done!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the brakes, get lots of brake cleaner spray cans for a start. I have done some on older Wings that were disgusting dirty and corroded. Plus brake fluid (?) that looked like old honey, all gooey and sticky! Flushed everything out and carefully cleaned pistons, bores of calipers and even brake lines. Bike actually ran when done!!
Thanks for the welcomes! I've already started on the brakes. They were all stuck to where the bike could not be moved, so I'll fix that first and then move on to the fuel system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts