Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sooo. Just sayin hello here. I am a sportbike guy at heart, but one that loves to do long distance rides and touring rides with the wife. My current touring bike is an Aprilia RST Futura, which will be staying in the stable, but I am adding a 2008 Gold Wing this Saturday for the wife and I do do touring rides with. This purchase was more for her than I, but it is something we have talked about for years and just felt it was time to finally do it. I wish I had the Wing for the 5000 mile week I did last month to Colorado though!

I am retired from the Marine Corps (2 years now) and we are settled in Carthage, NC. Nice quiet place!

I am also a track junky and do track days as much as I can, though this bike will surely cause a financial hit to that particular addiction for a while! I would love to look into fabricating a small trailer to haul the track bike behind the Wing!

Anywho.... I know I will have many questions in the future, and yes, I know how to use the search function! Just wanted to drop in and say hello!

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welocme to GWOF meanstrk

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... FIRST LET ME THANK YOU FOR YOU'RE SERVICE ... SEMPER FI ... THAT RST IS ONE HELL OF A MACHINE ... I HAVE NEVER RIDDEN ONE BUT I HAVE SEEN 2 IMPRESSIVE ... AS THEY SAY ABOUT WINGS IS : IT's ALL ABOUT COMFORT AND STYLE ... MAKE SURE YOU INVOLVE YOUR WIFE WHEN ADDING GOODIES TO THE WING THEN SHE WILL FEEL IT's HERs TOO ... < HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE > ... I TOO HAVE THE AFFECTION FOR THE FLAT TRACK FROM MY MUCH YOUNGER YEARS ... IT's HARD TO EXPLAIN TO PEOPLE ABOUT THE FEELING COMING INTO A CORNER AT 80+ AND EXITING AT 100+ SIDE WAYS ... WHAT A RUSH ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. We don't plan on doing much in the way of mods really, and don't care for all the chrome dress up stuff. Might have to look at some suspension mods at some point and a GPS mount, but the only thing I really want to take a look at is a low cut wind screen.

So far as the track stuff goes, I am a road course junky and see Virginia International Raceway and Carolina Motorsports Park on a regular basis. Knee down at 14 rocks! My track bike is a Kawi ZX6R and I ride in the Advance class.

The Futura is one of the best kept secrets in the sport touring realm so far as I am concerned! I love that bike, but the Wing is for the both of us for long distance!

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Thank you for your service to our country and welcome to the board from Pa. Congrats on your new Wing. You are going to love long distance touring on your new machine.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
meanstrk, You & I have a big thing in common I'm not into all the chrome goodies either. I bought my 1500 & it had some ugly pinstripe on it. I had all of it taken off. The things I always add to the bike have something to do with performance or comfort. Anyway good luck & happy touring.

It is a blast riding with the wife to different places.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. We don't plan on doing much in the way of mods really, and don't care for all the chrome dress up stuff. Might have to look at some suspension mods at some point and a GPS mount, but the only thing I really want to take a look at is a low cut wind screen.

So far as the track stuff goes, I am a road course junky and see Virginia International Raceway and Carolina Motorsports Park on a regular basis. Knee down at 14 rocks! My track bike is a Kawi ZX6R and I ride in the Advance class.

The Futura is one of the best kept secrets in the sport touring realm so far as I am concerned! I love that bike, but the Wing is for the both of us for long distance!
... HOWDY ... MEAN ... YOU'RE RACING AND MINE ARE A UNIVERSE APART ... FOR YOU PEOPLE THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A GP MOTORCYCLE ROAD RACE ... IT'S A MUST DO ... YOU WILL HAVE A NEW RESPECT FOR THOSE RIDERS ... MEAN STREAK WILL ATEST THAT YOU HAVE TO BE HALF CRAZY AND HAVE SOME 'REALLY BIG STONES' FOR THAT RACING ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know what you mean. I am a fairly accomplish track rider, but what GP riders can do amazes me! I have been to Indy for the GP races the past two years and it is an incredible event!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts