Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to motorcycles and started riding scooters 3 years ago - never realised what fun it was! I moved up from a 49CC in '07, to a 500 Aprilia Scarabeo in '08 and then a Suzuki Burgman 400 in '09. The scooters were great fun, but the thrill was gone at the end of last year, after about 15K mikes of local riding, mostly back roads with other family members.

Based on what I've read on this site and how much you folks like riding Goldwings, I stopped in at the local Honda dealer today and traded in the Burgy for a 2006 Goldwing GL-1800; total cost $13,500 (35K miles, airbag & ABS). I'll be picking it up in two weeks. I took the weekend safety course and got my motorcycle licence 3 years ago, but have never had to do any shifting since then, because I've been driving scooters. The dealer is going to let me get up-to-speed in his parking lot before driving the Goldwing home and I have an instructor friend who will be there to coach me. What's the chance I'll crash and burn before going home on the back roads.

My next trick will be going 2-up for some long distance touring. I'm not sure how much experience I should get before trying this.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
1st Dave welcome to the site. Now let's talk. You have done some good things, some experiance on two wheels, msf course, & coach. Having said that I would like to caution you a little. A quick crash course in the shops parking lot won't be terrible but isn't really going to get you acclimated to the Wing. Make no mistake this is a lot of motorcycle both in weight (over 800 lbs) & power 1800cc & it can get up & go. Take it easy, relax & be careful. Now on the 2 up question if I was you with the experiance you have I would refrain from passenger for a good long time maybe even the entire riding season this year but that is truly up to your confidence just be weary that would be all I would ask.

Good luck & I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in. Again Welcome.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF dave. be as confedent on the wing as you were on your scooter before taking a passenge, put some miles on by yourself and congrats on the purchase

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm with you Chopin114. The thrill is back!

Thank you for the good advise Bill. I will not be doing 2-up for some time; my wife is keeping her Burgy. My Aprilia Scarabeo 500 put the fear of god in me several times during the year I rode it, due to my inability to keep it up when coming to a stop. (I'm only 5ft 10 in.) The last time it tipped over I came close to breaking some ribs, so I sold it. I hope the Goldwing is not as tippy when coming to a stop.

My instructor friend told me I should take the rider safety course over again. I like the way the safety course gets you up and running in a slow, methodical manner. But I don't know that I need the classroom portion again because I still have the material and spend time researching safety threads on-line.

I think I need to concentrate on my riding skills, getting acclimated to handling the Goldwing safely under various road conditions. I would like to know if others recommend taking the basic safety course over or what things I should be doing to get competant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Never ride beyond your skill level, If you don't feel comfortable at what your doing your riding beyond your skill level. If your riding with a group and the group is riding at a rate your not comfortable with slow down to your level and the group should slow down if not find another group. Remember you are the one in control of your bike. Ride safe
Ken

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Georgia,Take it slow, You might consider trailering it home and ride around your neighborhood. You do not want your first experience to be a bad one.
But I went from a 650 to a wing with no problems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
New bikes are in most cases intimidating. Just breath easy and find a BIG empty parking lot to get the feel of the bike. You will find out in short order thats it's not that tough at all. At speed you will find it's much easier to ride than a scooter and just to parking lot manuvers a bit strage for a while. It won't take anytime to get the feel of the bike. My wife started out on a Honda Rebel 250. In 3 weeks she was riding my Valkyrie. She traded the Rebel in on a 02 750 Magna and then in 03 She Bought a BMW R1200S. She Sold that and is now riding my 1984 GoldWing Aspencade. She is 5'5" and can ride my GL1500. It physically larger than the 1800. Youll be fine. Oh and welcome

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to the site first off.
The Wing is BIG as far as bikes go. She has a pretty low center of gravity though which helps with her weight issue. Your major concern will be slow speeds. Tip over speed so to speak. Can she do wheel lock to wheel lock figure eights. YES with experience. Seek that experience through instruction. GWRRA is a good place to look. Get your experience solo so you don't scare the wife and cause her not to want to ride with you. When that time arrives you will really start to enjoy the Wing.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advise Heavy Chevy. The parking lot at the dealer is very large and training courses are given there. If I don't feel comfortable, I'll let the instructor make the 15 mile backroad trip back home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1500 - 1800 Goldwing

I have been riding my 1989 Goldwing for three years - and love it on the open road. Last week, I went to the local dealer for a test ride on the 1800 - big mistake! I loved it - however, the price tag is out of reach right now. The 1800 seems to have a lower center of gravity and I felt stable the minute I pulled out of the dealership. I think the 1800 has more stability at the lower speeds. Also, more power when one enters the freeway - great acceleratiion.
PS I need a new battery for my 1500 for a trip to Montana this summer - does anyone have a brand recommendation?
Thanks, goldtrek :)

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome from the great white north, TO Canada. When I went from my 1980 GL1100 to my current ride 4 years ago, a 2000 GL1500. I took an advanced riding course to get to know the bike better. There was no classroom here. Strait parking lot and lots of manoeuvres. Hard acceleration and braking. Also different avoidance techniques. My bike is loaded and weighs 1000lb (I checked it out at the weight scales on the hwy). By the end of the day I was scraping my floorboards without a problem. I would not recommend this type of course until you ride the bike for a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts