Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been lurking around here for a few months, reading and learning all I can. Next Tuesday, the 26th, I pick up my '90. Was talking at work about wanting to get another bike to extend my range and do some looooong rides. One of my co-workers offered that his parents have a '90 Wing that they never ride. After a few calls, we set up the purchase and set a pickup date. I cannot wait! A little anxious about the days ride home, I'm getting a matched Dart trailer with it and have never pulled a trailer with a bike. Figured I'd officially introduce myself and post a few of the pics he sent me. Watcha think?:D

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
New to you?

Always fun to get a new bike. :D That's a good looking bike, a nice trailer too. How many miles on it? Has it had any alternator work done? If not I'd pull it off and take it down and have it checked out. That was the weakest link on the 1500s. Don't aks how I know...:p

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
nice looking rig gothmog and congrats

·
Registered
454 Posts
Welcome!! I had one just like it back in 1990. I think that was the only year of that particular color.
Very nice.
Ride safe

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Congrats on your new great looking Wing and trailer. Let the looooong riding begin. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Here's a little more info, deal is already struck, but out of curiosity, what do you all think the package to be worth?

1990 GL1500 ~33,000
Matching Dart Trailer

Extra lights, Ring of Fire on front Disc Covers,
Chrome Speaker covers,
Two extra light bars on back,
CB
Damaged front chrome piece that protects radiator- platic, cracked with duct tape on it (like that when bike was purchased by my folks- 2007)
Only several hundred miles on back tire
New battery last year
47-48mpg (two-up) highway/ Low 40's driving around
New rocker assemply (light controls)
Due for oil change in about 300-400 miles
Two Helmets with intercoms (bracket that needs replaced- dad could not find one so he made one)
Had problem starting- ended up being the kickstand safety switch
Been sitting since last summer
Garage kept

Obviously more extras on the bike than his kid could remember, so the list is not exhaustive. Also, Nightwing, tell me more about the alternator. I've got another fire fighter here in town that has had all the wings and has a lift, etc in his garage that is going to help with the timing belts.

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
Welcome gothmog. Most 1500 riders go with the Compufire alternator so it has more capacity and last longer. It's hard for me to say since my prices are Canadian but I'd say the bike should be between $5-6k; trailer I'm not sure...another grand maybe? You could try a Kelly Bluebook search for your area and see what that gets you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've looked at KBB and NADA, and the price has been set, just wanted to see a general concensus out of curiosity. I'll post price after a few opinions. I'll look up that alt. Is the stock a weak output or just untimely crap out?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy I'm getting it from is not the original owner either, how do I know if it has been replaced already?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have seen the Dart trailers go for as little as $1000 but the average asking price seems to be around $1500. That doesn't mean that is what they sold for though.

As far as the bike goes, in MINT condition Budoka is close. Down here in Texas I have seen them sell for $800 to $6k just depends on what the bike is.
Yours looks to be pretty clean and well maintained. Personally if I were looking for THAT bike, I wouldn't pay more than $5k for everything. If I had to pay premium price it would need to be really special because GL1800's can be had for as little as $8k and that ain't too far off from the #'s we are talking on this bike that is 11 years older and only a couple grand away.

But this isn't me buying this bike and All I can offer is the "If it were Me" advice.
Prices on use bikes and vehicles are mostly what the person is willing to pay for it. All you can do is go by the averages. If you really want a good indicator of what it's worth, go look at "Completed" listings for the same year bike on Ebay and see what they have been selling for.

·
Super Moderator
11,894 Posts
I'd say if you got the whole thing for $5500, you got a good deal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looked at ebay completed auctions, too. From 88-92, those things went for prices all over the board, didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Here's a couple more pics, digital this time, with the previous owners removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice looking bike I would say if you got the bike for 5000 to 5200 and the trailer should be worth 1200 if you got it for 6 to 62 you did well. I pull a dart trailer and really like it. Good luck with your ride and ride safe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am paying $6K even for it. Paying off a loan for him, and I'm happy with it. His boy is even gonna drive me up there to pick it up. As far as only needing to buy gas, welllllll, I kinda have a sickness with needing to modify bikes. Even with everything that one already has had done to it, I've already ordered a short sport windscreen for summer riding, and I haven't even picked it up or payed for it yet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts