Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just got my Coleman Caboose licensed and all renovated to pull behind our gl1800.
The tires say 60 psi max for load rating.
Trailer says 90 psi max.
But that seems way too high for a very light load...trailer weighs 160 lbs and will have cargo of less than 100 lbs. Trailer is made for loads of up to 900 lbs.
1) Seems like 25 psi will keep the trailer from bouncing so much over bumps....it is safe to go that low with new high-speed rated tires on it?
2) I have seen some people suggest removing some of the leafs on the springs to make it more suitable for lighter loads.....does this sound like a good idea to you?
Thanks for all the advice!

·
Super Moderator
11,763 Posts
I wouldn't go less than 40psi on the tires, to start with. With only two leaves in the springs I don't think removing the lower one would help any.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I suggest doing a long test drive pulling the trailer with the tires at the pressure you select and loaded with similar weight you would carry for a trip. See how the trailer responds and whether the tires heat up from excessive flexing. I definitely would not exceed any pressure ratings, especially the tire and wheel. ST rated tires seem to be very sensitive to under inflation which can cause excessive heating and lead to tire failure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest doing a long test drive pulling the trailer with the tires at the pressure you select and loaded with similar weight you would carry for a trip. See how the trailer responds and whether the tires heat up from excessive flexing. I definitely would not exceed any pressure ratings, especially the tire and wheel. ST rated tires seem to be very sensitive to under inflation which can cause excessive heating and lead to tire failure.
I took it for a test drive tonight for an hour. Going on the advice of many other forums and trailer threads....I dropped the pressure to 20 psi. Going out we stayed to back roads and the trailer rode much softer....only had a couple lawn chairs inside, the spare, and a few miscellaneous items to add weight to the front of the trailer. Couldn't even tell it was back there, drove super nice, absolutely no weaving or bobbing.
Coming home we took the freeway and cruised at 65 mph...again super smooth with no issues. When we stopped I felt both the tires and bearings, and all was cool....no heat at all.
So at this point I am calling it a success.....thanks for all the input and helpful advice!
Hoping to take it on a 3 hour trip up to northern Ohio this weekend.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The best way to set the tire pressure is to load the trailer as you normally would. Air up the tires to about 40 and then run it through some water. Pull to a dry area and look at the tread pattern the tires leave. Should be close to a full pattern. I not, reduce the pressure a five lbs. at a time.
20 lbs is not enough! The sidewalls will flex and shorten the life of the tires. You will be riding more on the edges of the tire and not across the entire tread.
Also, what are you calling high speed tires? Looks like those are 8 inch rims. The max speed I have seen is for that size is 65 mph. Your maximum load range is for the tire aired to max rating. What brand and load range tire are you using.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Across the several forums he posted on, he's not got advice to run from sub-20 psi to over 50 psi. Forums are awesome. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best way to set the tire pressure is to load the trailer as you normally would. Air up the tires to about 40 and then run it through some water. Pull to a dry area and look at the tread pattern the tires leave. Should be close to a full pattern. I not, reduce the pressure a five lbs. at a time.
20 lbs is not enough! The sidewalls will flex and shorten the life of the tires. You will be riding more on the edges of the tire and not across the entire tread.
Also, what are you calling high speed tires? Looks like those are 8 inch rims. The max speed I have seen is for that size is 65 mph. Your maximum load range is for the tire aired to max rating. What brand and load range tire are you using.
Nope, those tires are rated for 81 mph....they commonly make those now. I'm sure they will be fine for 70 mph. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts