Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 96 GL1500 SE today and I am going to give it a good go over since I don't know any of the service history. I am planning the following with these parts:

Timing Belt: NAPA 250275 (x2)
Thermostat: Napa 53308(Made by Stant), O-ring gasket(Honda dealer)
Coolant: Honda dealer, 4.3 QTS
Radiator hoses: Honda dealer
Rear diff: Hypoid gear oil SAE80 (4.7oz) - Synthetic good??
Clutch and Brake flush: DOT4
Oil: 3.8QTS (I use 5w40 Synthetic RotellaT6 for all of my bikes)
Spark Plugs: NGK 5129 DPRTEA-9 (.8~.9 mm .031~.035 in)

Please let me know if there are better parts to use or better place to get them or if I should take a look at anything else while I am in there. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
370 Posts
:) Sounds like you have a good plan! You may consider flushing the micro switches @ the clutch & brake levers with some contact cleaner, they can get dirty and cause issues...hit them with some air to clean them out.:) There are a few more..depends how much you want to do..reverse & side stand switches come to mind also.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Nice looking bike. Check the condition of the brake pads and rotors.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Central Washington.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
You don't see too many that color. Ride safe and welcome to the forum..

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Magenta is not common at all, they stand out somewhat IMO. Good to check, but I doubt the rotors will be an issue, Honda stock rotors are amoung the best there are.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. One of my riding buddys has the same color. we kid him,about it being a Barnie Bike., from the kiddies show Barnie the Purple dragon.
Nice bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The owners manual says that sae80 gear oil is recommended for the rear end, but I have been to a couple auto parts stores and neither have straight 80. Is something like 75w-90 or 80w-90 compatible?

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
The owners manual says that sae80 gear oil is recommended for the rear end, but I have been to a couple auto parts stores and neither have straight 80. Is something like 75w-90 or 80w-90 compatible?
I use the SAE 80w-90w Yamalube Friction Modified Gear Shaft Lube. Mag: Is Ridersville Cycle still there on 522 ? I had my eye on a Victory Vision for a awhile. It was a great place to sit on a Victory and a Wing in one showroom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use the SAE 80w-90w Yamalube Friction Modified Gear Shaft Lube. Mag: Is Ridersville Cycle still there on 522 ? I had my eye on a Victory Vision for a awhile. It was a great place to sit on a Victory and a Wing in one showroom.
Been a while since I have been down there, but I don't see them going anywhere. Last time I was down I sat on one of the Can-am Spyders.:) I usually end up at Shenandoah Honda in Winchester.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got most of the items changed out, I noticed that the alternator looked new and it also says made in Japan. Do you think it has been replaced or I just got a 96 with the better alternator?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Looks new to me.
There's no rust on the bolts going through the unit.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
I would agree, looks new. Maybe there is a date code somewhere on it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts