Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a new Goldwing, thanks to a few here already,
this bike has a clean bill of health. So now what to do with it?
This is a 2005 Anniversary edition, I am thinking of adding the hi way pegs and the second passenger armrests.
Also, I am 6ft tall- can the seat moved back in any way? it seams that one more inch would be perfect.

Need some rain gear, good gloves and a nice jacket.
What else should I shopping for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats Scooter, you will love the Wing, I am also tall so to compensate I have added Road Pegs, of course they are only usable in warmer weather, but a must for your Wing. Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Someone here, in this forum, once suggested taking out the padding on the little butt rest - rear of seat. Or, have someone who is good at it (a seat guy) do it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am the proud owner of a new Goldwing, thanks to a few here already,
this bike has a clean bill of health. So now what to do with it?
This is a 2005 Anniversary edition, I am thinking of adding the hi way pegs and the second passenger armrests.
Also, I am 6ft tall- can the seat moved back in any way? it seams that one more inch would be perfect.

Need some rain gear, good gloves and a nice jacket.
What else should I shopping for?
Scooter, you will find that all us "tall" guys who have bought custom seats have nothing but praise for doing it!
There are a couple really good seats out there and neither are cheap. Each will run you around $1200-$1500 or more.
Now before you have a heart attack, I agree, that is a steep price to pay but I can testify that it is well worth every penny when you get the right seat!

I wish you were close to me, I would let you sit on mine. I just bought a Ultimate King Rider seat. It moved me back 1-1/2" and up 1/2". Let me tell you, I did not think that one little old inch or so could make a huge difference. Man was I wrong! This seat completely changed the entire geometry of me and the bike. The wife sits straight up now, my knees are no longer 1" from the fairing, my legs are bent at more of a 90 degree angle now instead on folded back under me, when I put my feet on the highway pegs I no longer rub the fairing and my legs are straighter, I can go on and on.

Surf around the forums and you will find lots of opinions. The best think you can do is find people who have these seats and go try them out.

Here is a list of seats that I am familiar with and in order from best to so so based on my limited knowledge.

Ultimate King Rider made by "Ultimate Seats in Canada", This is what I have and I researched the crap out of it before I bought it. I would have gone with Russell but I personally think Russell seats are ugly.

Russell Day Long in California, he takes your measurements and tailer makes the seat to fit you.

Corbin, corbin makes a fine looking seat but I hear they are hard as a brick.

Hartco, they make a nice looking seat and is probably the cheapest out of the bunch

Kuryakyn (Formerly Mustang Seats), I know nothing about them except to say they look nice.

Saddlemen Road Sofa, again, I know nothing about them except to say, they also look nice.

There are a few others including Ma & Pa shops that people brag on, I just don't have any info on them.

If I could do it all over again, I would have started with the seat! I have spent about 5k in extras on this bike in the last year and had I known that the seat solved so many problems, it would have been the first item on my list followed by Highway and rider pegs.
Oh and a cup holder!........lol

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
The 05 Anniversary Edition was the first bike I found on Craig's List back in 09 when I was ready to move up. The lady selling it had some nice sparkles on it and it was silver. I believe she was asking $14,000 for it and I was excited. Only one problem........ Mz. Vickie HAD to have heated seats. So Mz. Vickie got her heated seats and I'm slowly adding the sparkles that would have already been on the bike. What else should you shop for? Got a backrest ? Got a cup holder ?

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Scooter, We do have some very helpful people here on the site, glad you have decided to join us.

As Buzzy said custom seats are usually where it is at. Had a Hartco on my 1500 as well. Here is what an Old Fossil will tell you.

As far as riding gear I have great luck with Tourmaster products,
Rain Gear, gloves, jackets etc etc. Now I'm sure others will say they like Frog Toggs, Nelson Rigg, etc etc. There are lots of choices.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Tour-Master-p-1-c-1.html

Here is a link for another solution for your seat. I believe that they modify your stock seat but you will have to check on that.

http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/GL1800 Seats Main Page/GL1800 Seats Main Page.htm

Another great addition for you is a Driver's Backrest.

Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well Scooter, once the floodgates open, farkle-itis can be a wallet draining labour of love. I agree with Buzzy about the seat, but do your homework if you go custom., it's no fun making a $1k booboo. I have the same problem with my former St1300. Had a 350 mile range and a 50 mile seat:( Coughed out $900 for a Corbin Dual Sport and rode happily ever after (until I rode our shop's demo Wing...now mine). Trunk spoiler & rack, highway pegs, fog lights, armrests....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well Scooter, once the floodgates open, farkle-itis can be a wallet draining labour of love.
Man you ain't kidding! Good think is, I only have about $800 to go till I get this bike where I want it. Anything past that and I am just being gaudy!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Remember Buzzy, that's speaking in today's terms of 'complete'. What comes down the pipe tomorrow can change one's outlook quickly and very significantly. I thought I had my 1200 all tricked out until I saw how many other guys had the same stuff on their Wings. That's when my long term affair with 24k gold plating started. On the plus side, I never came acroww another Wing with gold plated Hondaline and non-original Drag Specialties (former) chrome to gold pieces on it.
So Scooter, prepare thyself...the farkle lust cometh:eek::cool:;)

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Welcome...You will get nothing but help from these fellas. Dont forget to ride! LOL!!! again welcome to the Best Motorcycle in the world! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts