Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and Goldwings. We just bought a 1988 GL1500 81000 miles that hadn't been ran for a year. We had to jump start it to test drive it as the battery was shot (replaced the battery before we drove it home). The previous owner said it ran great when he parked it. The bike is only get 20 mpg, is really weak(85 works it really hard), and the exhaust smells like it's running rich. Cleaned mouse nests out of air filter, have ran a bunch of sea foam through it, and changed spark plugs... Running out of ideas for this novice mechanic to try. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello jcool, welcome to GWOF. you may still have a carb issue that seafoam cannot cure. the carbs may need to be disassembled and cleaned. it sounds like the bike has been sitting for more than a year. congrats and good luck

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
1st welcome to the site. As the Doc said it may have sat longer than stated.

You didn't mention if you changed the fuel filter or not. If not I would do that. Do you have a service manual? If not I would invest in one Honda factory is best but Clymers will do in a pinch.

Does the bike feel like it has a miss in it? If so it may also be the Vacuum pilot assy. I had the one go south on my 1500, it felt like I was down a cylinder & the fuel mileage was in the area that you are getting.

Again these are only guesses with the info given. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick responds. Where's the vacuum pilot assembly and how does one tell if its gone bad? Also how far would I tear down the carbs when I go to clean them. The novice doesn't want to screw up any settings or calibrations.

And im ordering a service manual while im posting. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts