Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Quick run down...been off of bikes since a Suzuki 650 back in '84. Couple months ago I picked up a XT225 and a KLX125 so my youngest and I could do some riding. Man did that re-kindle the spirit! Now have 3 XT225's, have done a few multi hour rides, and one 8 hour trip in the dirt!

Been itching for a street bike, but I don't want to leave my wife at home so I started researching Touring bikes. Spent a good 3 weeks studying what's good, bad, riding types, heights, comfort, etc. Came down to a Concours, Venture, or a GW. Didn't want to put too much money into a bike until I knew I'd get back into it, and find out if the wife really will go for a cruise. So I was working on $2-3k budget just to see how it panned out.

Not much out there that cheap, been watching ebay, and craigslist within about 1000 mile radius. Was headed out to look at a '84 GW about an hour away, $1800, needed alot of misc. stuff, had leaks, etc. Then I recalled having seen a local ad for a GW, no picture, $1200. Turned out to be a block from my house. Paint's faded, several scratches, cruise doesn't work, radio stuck on 1 channel, "needs carb work", new tires, new brakes. Put the fairly new battery on a charger, hadn't been ran for a while, started right up. It runs, has a bit of a sputter to it. Sold!

Got it home, put it on a charger for a few hours took it out for a 36 mile ride last night. Felt like it was topping out at about 70. Little power under 2000 rpm's, seems ok from 2000 to about 3700. Went to an empty mall parking lot and had my kid (16, 120lbs) jump on back to see if I could still tote a passenger. No problem. Let the kid run it around the lot a couple times.

Got up this morning and did what every dad wants to do on Father's Day...cleaned, polished, and waxed my new Goldwing!! Just took it out on about a 25 mile ride, same issues, little power taking off at low rpms, peaks about 3800-4000. Came back in on the interstate, was able to creep up to 74mph at about 4050rpm's.

I'll go wander the forums looking for solutions.

Later

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If it's been setting a while run a couple tanks of gasoline through with Sea Foam added, might just need some internal cleaning if it's not really bad Sea Foam might just do it.
Best of Luck and join the :D crowd
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new to you Wing. Carbs are picky on the 1200 and you've got four of them to contend with! One of the first things you want to do is replace the timing belts. If they are old and one breaks, you can do major damage to the engine.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
Previous owner said he recently ran Sea Foam thru it, but I'll give it a shot anyhow. Appreciate the suggestion on the belts...I'll hunt down the info and do that next weekend if they look old.

John

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello cantwin1, welcome to GWOF. even with your wing running perfect the motor likes to be above 2000 rpm

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Hope you get your problem solved. Good folks and information on here..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts