Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, pulled the trigger on a beautiful metallic red 2008 Wing with the Premium Audio system today. The dealer where I found it is 120 miles from home and will store the bike for me until spring actually hits here in Minnesota.

I do have a question that maybe someone here can answer. There were a number of used Wings there, different years, different options. Each bike has a radio antenna, but some have a straight, slender stainless whip, while mine has an enclosed loading coil half way up, typical of some CB antennas. I have seen some Wings that have two antennas, one straight, and one with the coil. Can anyone explain why the differences? I am curious to know.

Thanks!

ON EDIT: I forgot the photo! Here it is.
08GWsml.jpg

Super Moderator
First of all, congratulations!

Most Wings with two antennas have the CB installed. The CB antenna is normally on the left of the bike.

Premium Member
Congratulations on your 2008. I have a 2008 with the premium audio just like you have except I have the faster model because it鈥檚 pearl white. The antenna that you have that鈥檚 on the right side of your bike looks like an aftermarket antenna with that coil on it. My antenna is just a straight shaft antenna and it is on the right just like yours and it鈥檚 for the radio. My radio with my OEM antenna comes in just fine on FM. I have an aftermarket Siri satellite radio that I listen to most of the time but my FM comes in really well I don鈥檛 use a.m. so I can鈥檛 speak too much for that. Your previous owner may been having problems getting a good FM signal from wherever you was living and that鈥檚 probably why they installed that aftermarket antenna with the coil that probably acts like a booster. The bikes that have A CB radio have a second antenna which is on the left side of your top trunk. I don鈥檛 have the CB I only have a single antenna but I have all the controls I鈥檓 sure you do too on your left handle bar. I can鈥檛 see paying the price that they want for a CB radio when I wouldn鈥檛 use it very much anyway but to each their own. good luck with your bike I bought mine five years ago I鈥檒l take that back six years ago now with 24,000 miles on it and I have 75,000 miles on it now without one bit of problems with anything. I would cycle all of your switches at least once a week to make sure that they鈥檙e not getting stuck and to exercise them such as the cruise control the radio mute switch in all of the others. I would ask exercise your hazard light switch mine stuck a little bit until I started exercising it and now it works just fine.

Registered
Congratulations on the new to you Goldwing.

Yes, that is not stock. As discussed above, your bike came new with the CB handlebar controls but no radio or antenna. The original AM/FM antenna was mounted on the right side with a straight wire whip. The CB was an available option. The CB radio is installed below a trap door in the trunk. You can also look at your dash display and see if the ICON comes on when you select the CB button on the radio controls. The Honda and the common aftermarket antenna installed on the left side and have a loading coil in the middle as you describe and as seen in your photo.

It is seems that some one installed a CB whip on the regular antenna. I would look and see if they used a splitter on the antenna COAX to feed both radios. Sierra electronics sells single antenna kits for the Wing but they use a fiberglass whip without the visible loading coil. If you don't have a CB radio you could always install a factory straight whip.

Super Moderator
Congrats, that is a great looking machine. Enjoy the ride and the song she sings.

Super Moderator
Great looking Wing. Enjoy and ride safe..

Super Moderator
Welcome to you from Mississippi. Don't let anyone tell you that red isn't the fastest color. I agree with the answers on the antenna. Enjoy the ride.
2020 07 26 Blue Front Cafe 01 (2).jpg

Reactions: NREMTP

Registered
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Getaway is pulling your leg. Red is the fastest color. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Reactions: NREMTP

Premium Member
Welcome from Southern Oregon, your antenna may use a splitter, this is why you have the CB antenna. A splitter is used to allow the user to have only one antenna that is used by the CB and the AM/FM radio. The reason for the use of a CB antenna is that AM/FM radios are receive only and really don't care what type of antenna is used while a CB needs an antenna that is tuned for the CB frequencies to allow transmissions with reasonable VSWR's. The splitter works like a bandpass filter, allowing the CB transmissions to go to the antenna instead of going into the AM/FM radio's receiver's frontend.

Registered
Congratulations on your new ride. It looks really sharp. I think maybe Getaway lives too close to Portland if he thinks that red isn't the fastest color. ;)

Reactions: Chopin

Premium Member
Welcome; Nice bike - and I agree with crownfire - RED is the fastest color.

Registered
Great looking bike and another vote on red being the fastest color and the only one that came with a warp speed button.馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Being an old time truck driver, I am very versed in CB radios and their antennas, both with or without splitters, but this setup had me wondering just a bit. This bike does not have the CB radio, as the only items in the trunk were the owner's manual and the panel under which it was hidden. So, I suspect that the antenna was replaced at some point for some reason unbeknownst to me. That's okay, the CB antenna will work just fine as a receive antenna for the stereo.
This bike does come with the inner saddle bag liners and a full bike cover, which is a welcome addition.

Aside from that, all I can do now is wait for spring to hit up here in the northland. I was in the UP of Michigan yesterday and snowmobiling is still the main activity up there at this time of year.

Waiting patiently...

Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P)
Welcome; Nice bike - and I agree with crownfire - RED is the fastest color.
Mine is silver; so is mercury (or QUICKSILVER), making SILVER the fastest color!

Reactions: Luv2fish

Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P)
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Being an old time truck driver, I am very versed in CB radios and their antennas, both with or without splitters, but this setup had me wondering just a bit. This bike does not have the CB radio, as the only items in the trunk were the owner's manual and the panel under which it was hidden. So, I suspect that the antenna was replaced at some point for some reason unbeknownst to me. That's okay, the CB antenna will work just fine as a receive antenna for the stereo.
This bike does come with the inner saddle bag liners and a full bike cover, which is a welcome addition.

Aside from that, all I can do now is wait for spring to hit up here in the northland. I was in the UP of Michigan yesterday and snowmobiling is still the main activity up there at this time of year.

Waiting patiently...
Congrats on the bike and Welcome! At least to me color matters not as long as the bike speaks to you. Mine is silver, and right off the bat, in the dealers lot, it called out "stay away form that damn Harley, I'll take care of you." And the rest as they say is history.

Premium Member
Howdy and welcome from Virginia! Enjoy your ride!

Reactions: Luv2fish
1 - 20 of 42 Posts