Honda Goldwing Forum banner

New to Me 1985 Golwing CFI 1200 limited

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ronzilla 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I would like to thank each of you for putting this forum together. As of last night i picked up my first GoldWing. It is a 1985 Limited CFI. It had to trailer it home as it is a project bike and needs a little work prior to riding it.

I need to rebuild the rear brakes from what i was told. It also is in need of a rectifier.

Last week i traded a for a 1985 honda shadow vt700 as well, also that needs some work but is able to ride now.

I have had my bike lic for over 20 years but have not had a bike is 10 years or rode a bike in 7 years. so the shadow is good to get ridding on again and freshen up so to speak while i get the goldwing running right.

Again, thanks and i hope to learn a bit from you fine folks.

#6 ·
one niece rides the '85 wing the other has a harly 1200 custom sporster and another one is looking for a sportbike. my nephew has been riding my 450 since last year and i'm ready to put him on the '84 wing, he just turned 16 and been riding since 2005

#7 ·
Riding Again

I too had'nt ridden for a long time, 15 years. When I bought our 85 Limited Edition (second GW) this spring I was very cautious and my wife did'nt quite understand why I did'nt want her as a passenger for the first 4 or 5 rides because we use to tour across Canada on our first GW Interstate,but she trusted my judgement. Since then she's been on several rides with me and loves it. I think this is good advice for anyone that has'nt ridden for awhile,get use to the Bike yousrself first,get your confidence back, then after a few rides consider that passenger, and also whether they are experienced riders as a passenger or a newbie,a newbie needs some instruction.

Enjoy your rides,
Robert

#8 ·
yeah, i have been taking the wife for short rides. But spend most of my time on it by myself. Any one got a used rectifier?

I spent a good part of today just tearing the top off the bike to get to the rectifier. Pulled it but along the way i pulled the electronics off the center of the bike to find that some one had cut the wires and put them back together with and extension wire and butt connectors but they were all falling apart and many were just bare. I went ahead and fixed them with new extensions and soldered them together and heat shrinked them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.