Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed the paperwork today for a friends 06 Wing with 5053 miles on the clock. He has had health issues and the bike has been sitting for 3 or 4 years. It is at my local dealer now getting a new fuel pump and other related items. It should be ready in about a week if all goes well. My main concern is tires. They look good and show no signs of dry rot. I work at a H-D dealer so I know about tire life and manufacture dates. I just can't swing a new set right now after buying the bike and coughing up a bunch for repairs. Does anyone run Michellins? It has Dunlops on it now, but I just got a Michellin pr3 front for my ST1300 and it looks like a good rain tire. I live in the wettest metropolitan area in the country so I will need a good rain tire.
I hope to get my wife riding with me more on the Wing. She doesn't like the ST too much, but she used to ride with me a good bit when I had a Road Glide. If she will ride more I'll keep the Wing, if not then I'll sell the Wing and keep the ST. I have never ridden a Wing much, just around the parking lot at work when we have one traded in on a Harley, but so far I like the handling. Any tips will be appreciated.
Ride Well
Suprdav

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Well, I know you are strapped for money but I would strongly suggest a new set of tires if the bike has been idle of several years. I run Bridgestones and like them. Others run Dunlops and love them. A tire failure at speed is no fun and to be safe, you really need to consider starting off as safe as possible. :) Isaac

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
That is a lot of years and while they may look okay you sure wouldn't want one to go bad with your wife on there. I found prices better online than at my local dealer. Like $150.00 cheaper for the pair. It still was a little over 300 but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.

My wife likes the Wing a lot better than the Stratoliner. Hope yours will too. They handle very well and I think you will be happy too.

·
Super Moderator
7,606 Posts
Post some pics of your new 2 U Wing.
We like photos.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
There's more comments on tires that Carters have pills, but I haven't heard much bad obout Michelins. I'm personally pretty sold on Bridgestones (I have the 709/704 combo on the Wing and Battlax BT023s on the RC51) and they are great in the rain. Unlike where you are, around these parts when it rains it gets cold so wet traction suffers a dual whammy thanks to the cold pavement. No wiggle or squirm on tar strips and the bikes corner like they're glued to the road (within reasonable limits of course).

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Nice to see you and your new ride with us, I have a 06 with the Bridgstones on the front and the Michelin alpin winter car tire on the rear. I love both for the stick to the road, the front will give me about 13K and it is done and the rear now has 16K on it and should go another 10K. If you do think about the car tire check out the darkside and do some reading you may like it or you may not, but like I said glad to see you with us.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Congrats on the move to a Wing & welcome to the GWOF. Enjoy the ride & you will have plenty of time to check out tires. All sorts of opinions here.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Don't shortchange the necessities..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.