Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, GWOF, new to the forum but not new to owning a GW. A little about me: I recently purchased a "new to me" 2003 GL 1800 and have previously owned a 1996 GL 1500 Asp. Really love the 1800 for all of the reasons I have read current owners comment on this forum. I had to sell the GL 1500 to afford grad school and some life cycle transitions and had about a 9 yr stretch with no MC at all. After settling down a little with jobs/career, kids...life, I finally talked my wife into allowing me to buy the 1800.
After buying the 1800 I knew I didnt want have to replace my tires every 10,000 miles, as I have in the past. So, after doing some research and reading many comments on this forum and other forums, I decided to go "darkside" and use a car tire for the rear tire. After approx 2K miles, I can say it has already paid off with great results. I still may have to replace the front tire after 10K, but, oh well.

Anyway, great to be a part of this forum!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to the forum darrell from Ontario Canada. Congrats on the "new" Wing. It must feel great after being away for 9 years.
Lots of great, knowledgeable folks here.
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum darrell from Ontario Canada. Congrats on the "new" Wing. It must feel great after being away for 9 years.
Lots of great, knowledgeable folks here.
Ride safe,
Strat
Strat, thanks. I've been working on getting another wing for several years and finally am at a place to both afford one and be in a location in which it makes sense to be able to ride one frequently (my wife's rationale). I do love that woman, but I dont think she sees it the way most MC folks do, which is that "anyplace and anytime" its good to ride a MC :)

Best, Darrell

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello again darrell

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Glad you found us. Welcome from the Keystone state...

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome from NC -Lots of good people here with good information if you need it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcome!

Thank you all for the warm welcome, its much appreciated. Look forward to reading your comments in the future.

Best, Darrell

·
Premium Member
10,999 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Hopefully the Goldwing will give you both memories of trips around the USA. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF and the " darkside " , darrell. I have 3K + on my Kuhmo and have yet to find any reason to go back to a conventional motorcycle tire. We are a small voice on this great Forum when it comes to car tires ; but the non-darkside members respect our choice and tolerate our conversations ( usually amongst ourselves ) on car tires.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Lightside or Darkside it matters not. Welcome to the GWOF.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome along darrell. You'll fit right in with that tire eh chop?;)

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to Forum from next door in Alabama.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello, GWOF, new to the forum but not new to owning a GW. A little about me: I recently purchased a "new to me" 2003 GL 1800 and have previously owned a 1996 GL 1500 Asp. Really love the 1800 for all of the reasons I have read current owners comment on this forum. I had to sell the GL 1500 to afford grad school and some life cycle transitions and had about a 9 yr stretch with no MC at all. After settling down a little with jobs/career, kids...life, I finally talked my wife into allowing me to buy the 1800.
After buying the 1800 I knew I didnt want have to replace my tires every 10,000 miles, as I have in the past. So, after doing some research and reading many comments on this forum and other forums, I decided to go "darkside" and use a car tire for the rear tire. After approx 2K miles, I can say it has already paid off with great results. I still may have to replace the front tire after 10K, but, oh well.

Anyway, great to be a part of this forum!
Welcome from a fellow Georgian. Come ride the mountains.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. I'm thinking about a ct when I have to replace my rear tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey all, is anyone getting better 38 MPG on their GL 1800? I dont ride too aggressively, at least dont think, but have never gotten above 38 mpg. Thanks for your comments.

Darrell

1 - 19 of 19 Posts