Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introducing myself,
Its been about 20 years since I have owned a bike due to kids. Now that they are getting pretty self-sufficient, wife and I decided to get a renewed spirit for biking. Bought a 96 with about 46k on it. I have added about 1000 since its purchase 2 mo ago. Live just outside Kansas City on the SW side. My forum name usually gets a few questions, so history lesson. I used to autocross in my younger years with the Sports Car Club of America and I drove a Datsun Z car. So SCCAZ it is. I have found that name to always be available on any forum I use, lol.
Looking forward to learning about this pretty cool bike. Looks like a good forum to do so.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Kinda the same story here too but a longer hiatus as it was nearly 40 years for me. We have 6 kids and one still at home but he is out of diapers. I got a 95 Aspencade in Februrary and have put on 5000 miles so far. Yep, these 1500's are a fine machine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Welcome nice intro.hope to read some of your post about your Sccaz experiences . Let me be the first to tell you we like pictures.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Welcome from Seattle.

From 1974 - 1977..... I was stationed in Ft. Leavenworth and pounded all around your area on my 1972 Yamaha 650. My bike was red with a white stripe.... and I was white with a red neck!

Glad you found a Wing and this forum. Enjoy.

:)

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello sccaz, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. The 1500 is a great bike.
Yup like pictures. No pictures no bike:D
This mine a bit on the gaudy side as some like to say. But I like it.
You got to get out and ride your wing has some catching up to do on the mileage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you reply to the thread, there is a 'button' to 'Manage Attachments' then you can browse through your computer files and upload the one you want. Hope this helps. :)

Oh, and "Crash Course" may not be the best terminology to use. :eek: :D

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Yikes it looks like the price tag is still on that one. You got a blank canvas, so to speak. Very nice.

Nice looking kids, enjoy them while you can they grow up fast. My Little Girl just turned 42.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I specifically looked for one with very few modifications on it, and lower miles since I plan on keeping it for quite awhile.
I will be looking for new saddlebag lights, cb antenna, left side handle control because hazard button will stick and not shut off, new seat due to a couple small cuts, headlight assembly because the left side light is cracked and broken, and new speakers. Otherwise, I love it the way it is But I'm sure that will change a little over time.
Let me try to save you a few dollars. On the sticking hazzard switch. Go down to Radio Shack and get a can of Contact Cleaner, and a can of Blast Off canned air. Use the little red tube that comes with the Contact cleaner and spray in along the sides of the button while trying to work the button. When it comes free used the canned air to blow any gunk that's in there out. Then a quick shot of cleaner again and your good to go.. Try it you'll like it.
You can put some rags around the switch for easy clean up. The contact cleaner won't hurt the paint or plastic.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Sccaz,

Welcome to the GWOF. I used to drive a Formula Continental & Ford in the past. Was always tempted to try Autocross but the closest I came was Hillclimb.

As far as the sticky switch is concerned, take some elec contact spray & you'll fix it just fine.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Obviously Ron's already on it.

Good going Ron(ny).

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
My starter switch was that way.... and from the advice on this forum, I sprayed away and 20,000 miles later, my starter switch is working fine. I used it on my other switches as well.

Final note on contact cleaner: My helmet was not getting the volume from the front connector, but was doing fine from the rear. I sprayed some of the Radio Shack contact cleaner in it... good to go now for 10,000 miles.

I still have a half a can. Besides Seafoam the $10 Radio Shack contact cleaner is the best "mechanic in a can" stuff around.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice bike. I see you passed your --ash course.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Congrats on the new to you ride.

Pretty common theme around here, rode bikes in teens- twenties, life gets in the way, marriage, kids, kids grown up now, want to get back into motorcycles. I had a 31 year period off of bikes because of above but am loving it again now, bought a low mileage 95 SE. My wife and I took a 90 mile "bug run" last night with the local GWRRA chapter. It is a great way to meet people with common interests and make some nice rides as a group.

Ride safe and welcome!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Again, welcome from Texas. I also took a dry spell from 96 to 2011. Bought a 96 Aspencade with 49,000 miles, triked out with a new motor trike kit. Now have 56,000. 72 in Nov and love it. So will you. Best of everything.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF! Fine looking bike! Hope you and your kids have many safe miles of great memories!

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Good luck with your Wing and drive safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.