Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. I'm strongly considering purchasing an 08 wing. Other than the tire pressure monitor and the XM radio, it's the same as the 2010, correct? I strongly considered the new HD Ultra - which I'm a big fan of, but the engine heat is a problem. I'm a wuss in that regard. I've owned other Honda bikes in the past, but never a Wing. Is there any issues with the Wing I should be concerned about- ie water pump failures, excess heat off the engine, etc? What are it's weak spots? Any extras I should add? Thanks for you patience with a new guy!

TIA

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The base 08 model is called premium audio, it has the upgraded stereo, in 09 the base model had heated grips, and heated seat and heated passenger back rest and toe heat vents. along with TPMS and XM radio. The heated stuff on the Gold Wing is always breaking down so not a good thing to spend your money on. Buy after market hand grips and save a bunch of money. If you like that stuff added from the factory than go for it, The weak point of the Gold Wing is not riding it enough. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello 08 wing,
I am also new to the forum and wings. I just bought a 10 Audio comfort after riding
Harleys for over 30 years. My most recent an 04 Roadglide 95 incher. IMHO the wing is a superior machine in all respects. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
I'd say go with the Wing you cannot beat it for comfort, power and quiet. A well maintained Wing can go for many miles, I've heard of some that have gone over 300,000 miles. There are individuals riding older Wings on long trips and that shows how dependable a Wing is. I've not heard anyone complain about their 1800, the engine is in front of your feet, so you are not sitting on top of it and any heat would disapate before it reached you. Wings are pretty bullet proof. Rotor covers, driver's backrest and armrests for the Mrs.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
'08 Wing here. The engine heat on a Goldwing blows out the sides of the front fairing and for the most part past your legs. The faster you go, the faster she blows! When sitting still and the fans kick in, the air is brought in from outside the radiators and ejected through the front of the bike. I haven't rode it in the dead of summer yet. We need one of our Southwest riders to chime in when your talking heat here. They are the experts on this topic. Hey! billcarr, Radarsdad, etc. Grab a seat and tell us about the " heat ". The two option I have added so far are the highway floor boards ( or pegs, if you prefer ) and the backrest. Both of these I found a must for stretching out and leaning back.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF 08 wing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Many thanks to all that have replied. Yes, the HD's produced today throw off killer heat from the engine. What an engineering challenge for the folks at HD. That's the price one pays for having the engine exposed for all to admire. The new Touring chassie is outstanding. However, it's time for me to move on. I wish HD well.

I rode a wing back in 02 and have always admired the bike. I've owned Honda's in the past - a 96 VFR, a 97 Blackbird and a 07 ST1300. All were superb machines. I don't expect any less from the big wing!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great people with lots of knowledge. I am not one of them. People with the knowledge, I mean.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can not comment one way or the other. I pick up my new 2010 level 2 in about two hours. I'll let you know when I get back to work on Monday how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Like others have stated, starting in 09 base model came with heated grips, seat and TPMS. So other than that the only difference is color choices between 08 to 10. No real problems with the later model Wings so find one that fits your price range and have a blast. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Heat...what heat? A set of Kury Ergo II pegs will keep your feet comfy and everything else pretty much stays at ambient temperature. The only reason my feet heat up is because I usually wear semi-heavy black boots. I sometimes ride in tennis shoes and have no problem regardless of foot location but I have to admit, the wind blowing over my tennis shoes on the pegs feels pretty dang good.

The only time I've ever felt engine heat was when I wanted to... by opening the toe warmer doors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome

Heat...what heat? A set of Kury Ergo II pegs will keep your feet comfy and everything else pretty much stays at ambient temperature. The only reason my feet heat up is because I usually wear semi-heavy black boots. I sometimes ride in tennis shoes and have no problem regardless of foot location but I have to admit, the wind blowing over my tennis shoes on the pegs feels pretty dang good.

The only time I've ever felt engine heat was when I wanted to... by opening the toe warmer doors.
Terrific!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the trigger

I took delivery of an 08 AB Wing! What a ride!! Thanks to all who replied!!:D

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I took delivery of an 08 AB Wing! What a ride!! Thanks to all who replied!!:D
" What a ride!! " Now that's a exclamatory statement we don't hear much around here!!!! Well get a picture up so the rest of us can share in your happiness and reiterate " What a ride!! " . No matter how often I say it, or who's bike I say it about, it always excites.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Shweet! You won't regret choosing the Wing over the Harley. So, what color is it? Pearl White would make you eligible to join that elite group of owners that Chopin, Calbigbird and I are part of. :D Is it brand spankin' new?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shweet! You won't regret choosing the Wing over the Harley. So, what color is it? Pearl White would make you eligible to join that elite group of owners that Chopin, Calbigbird and I are part of. :D Is it brand spankin' new?
Thanks Radardad. Yes, it's a new one. Alas, it's red! The dealer didn't have a white one. It must have been a popular color for 08.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I guess my next question is:

What are you doing sitting in front of a computer at 8 AM Saturday morning when there's a brand new Wing sitting in the driveway?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Welcome to the site. You will enjoy the Wing better than the Harley and I talk with experience. I loved my Harley, but after getting the wing because I wanted more comfort Ill never go back. In fact, if I get a buyer I'm going to sell my Heritage, the only thing it is doing is gather dust because I'm always on the wing :)

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
BTW... there's always that other elite group of Wing owners that Chopin and I are members of.

The 2008 Goldwing group :)
Jeezee Radar, we told him everything about the '08 Wing.....except the color. On a positive note, that Red Wing sure looks nice against a Pearl White Wing. I know, because I've seen pictures of " Rapier " and me together.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts