Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 06 wing with CB and not sure what use it is. How do you know what channel to use? Is there an emergency channel? Do you have to use the old "Breaker 1-9" code talk and if so, where do I get the code? Do GL's talk to each other as they pass? Is there a secret (or not so secret) GL channel? etc., etc, etc.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
qball68, 1st and foremost Welcome to the site.

What the guys I ride with & I do is pick a channel before you leave for ride to broadcast on. Let's say 37. I believe the truckers still use 19 as a base, at least that's the way it seems in Pa. If I needed help I would probably just go there. An emergency channel I can't remember the old CB days to well to recall one. As far as radio etiqutte goes I still use it if there is someone I'm not riding with broadcasting. Sometimes if I'm by myself I'll jump on 19 ask for a radio check & then for conditions. Using the cb jargon. I'm sure if you do a Google web search for CB code something will come up. When we're with our friends it is just regular conversation. I have talked to passing bikes but not often because your chances of being on their channel are slim. Which leads me to your question about Secret Wing Channel. Not that I'm aware of.

Hope this wasn't too long winded & again good to have you on board.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's great when riding with other bikes that have a CB. makes communicating easy. We use ch25 but I think most GW riders use CH1. Ch 19 is what most truckers use and CH 9 is emergency channel.
Once you use it you will always have one. It's one of the first I put on my bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Most of the guys I ride with are on Beemers and don't have CB's. This is good information though. I'll have to check up on the code for conditions and radio checks. Seems like having a wing channel (maybe 1?) would be cool to pass around.

What's the range on these things?

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Range depends on where you have squelch. We keep ours down (or is it up) so you get less radio noise & interference, that way we are generally just talking to each other but that limits your range significantly usually about 1/4 mile or so.

By the way found this link just searching. Hope it helps.

http://home.att.net/~wizardoz/cbmw/10codes.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
This site may give you some assistance.

The "break" or "breaker" request isn't mandatory, it's a courtesy. Most radio users keep their radio squelched down to limit static. Only problem with this is that there may be radio traffic on the channel that you can't hear because it's not quite strong enough to break your squelch. A "break" request is a courtesy so you just don't run over another user's communications.

Though truck driver's have no legal exclusivity to channel 19, I would suggest that you respect their use of it. Cell phones have pretty much made CBs obsolete in passenger vehicles with the exception of truck drivers. Should you ever find yourself needing to use your CB to get help, most likely it will be a truck driver who responds.

Channel 9 is reserved by the FCC for emergencies or traveler assistance.

Used to be that I had a CB in every vehicle I owned. Now, I have several of the handheld FRS/GMRS radios that we use for communications while traveling in a group. Kind of miss the CBs though.

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents; I use a radio all the time at work. While you still hear the 10-codes all state and federal people on a radio are supposed to use “clear text” or just speak normally.
Alhough we do use some shortcut words like "copy" for I understand, "afirmative" and "negative" for yes and no.

The group I ride with here in central Mississippi uses channel 1.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Over here in Newfoundland, bikers use CH 5 and truckers use CH 1. The emergency channel is 9 which seems to be universal. When riding in a group or during an organized ride with a hundred bikes in particular, they are invaluable. I wouldn't be without one. Also, when your alone on the highway, a chat with a nearby trucker can be a laugh. Good luck. Lyndon

·
Registered
449 Posts
Range on Honda CB's is less then others. Still it is useful. We use ours on Group rides on channel 1. Non-CB equipped wings are in the middle so everyone remains accounted for by the rear guard. Nice to be on the decision making side of lunch stops also.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to be on the decision making side of lunch stops also.:D
Not to change the subject, but our standing rule for lunch stops is "Wherever all the locals are". If there's a lot of cars in the parking lot, that's where we go. Lead makes the call. Mom & pop joints are the best. Good service, friendly people, and great food.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not to change the subject, but our standing rule for lunch stops is "Wherever all the locals are". If there's a lot of cars in the parking lot, that's where we go. Lead makes the call. Mom & pop joints are the best. Good service, friendly people, and great food.

Now kiddies.........Remember the sound information above. I am in total agreement with qball68. He knows his stuff by the sound of it. If you want your food dollars to go further and have quality food placed before you. FIND those LOCAL places. :D:D:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents; I use a radio all the time at work. While you still hear the 10-codes all state and federal people on a radio are supposed to use “clear text” or just speak normally.
Alhough we do use some shortcut words like "copy" for I understand, "afirmative" and "negative" for yes and no.

The group I ride with here in central Mississippi uses channel 1.
The group I ride with in Louisiana use channel 1 also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts