Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have around 11000 miles on my factory installed tires , I think it's time to change them , what is the best bang forum buck , I still want to get a rear car tire but might not have time to get that all together before my Frackville trip , should I just order elite 3 tires from wingstuff?

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
I'm sorry we could not get the logistics in place to get you fitted with a car tire. I didn't want you to be a Guinea pig at a local Goodyear shop that will mount it. I'd rather have them do mine first. Dunlop or Bridgestones ? Flip a coin. If you can suffer through another M/T........ Don and I will have the logistics in place by that time as next year we will be replacing ours. His for the mileage, and mine because of the plug ( though it still holds air like it's not there ).

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Gord

There is a love/hate relationship with Elite 3's. I know Crownfire just posted that he has almost 20K if not more on his. Some guys say they get 9k & they're done. I always loved my Dunlops but they were on a 1500.

I believe Budoka said he really likes his Bridgestones, & I have heard good things about Continentals & Avons.

I know this doesn't help you but just some info.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think I will order off of Wingstuff.com because they are sponsors of our forum

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Well I think I will order off of Wingstuff.com because they are sponsors of our forum
For a price comparison, I bought my front Bridgestone 709 from the Dealer here on August 11, 2011: Total price for tire and mount $228.75. Previous Metzeler rear motorcycle tire from same Dealer on June 5, 2010 : $321.06.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
If I had to go with an M/T - I would stay with the E3s.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Gordo,

While Elite 3's are good tires....if you like the Twisties they WILL wear funny(it's normal) & sing (noisey) in the curves. The Bridestone G709 & 704's are great tires as well & those are my preferred tire(s). You might want to find a rear wheel (trike take-off) to mount a car tire on before you do it. Some folks don't like a car tire. You can find them for around a $100.00 & then you'll always have a spare.

JMHO

Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I'm at about 10k on my Dunlop's and I'll need to think about tires for next season. I don't know why, but I like a front tire with a center tread. It's probably just me, but I think it handles water better. So for that reason (although I do like the E3's) I will probably go with Dunlop again or try the stones... JMHO..

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I'm not even getting into the cost of my rear tire as I purchased it here at the shop. Just suffice to say tires are a hideous price in Canada. I paid $149 for my 709 front from Wingstuff and had I known about the glitch in the TPMS calibration tool earlier I'd have bought the 704 rear from WS too. Mounting was done at a shop in the city since we have no m/c street tire certification anywhere in town and that cost me an even $200 including the recycling fees (oh yes we're very 'green' up here LOL). I've only got 1000 kms on the tires but I still can't get over how smooth and silent they are. Even rumble strips don't transmit much through the bars. The biggest handling difference I see in them so far is the transition from straight line to turns. The Bridgestones roll over so clean and easy cornering is effortless. It's early, but to anyone on an 1800 I would recommend them highly.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
The Elite 3's are noisy but I like the ride and they have lasted a long time for me. If I picked anything else it would be Bridgestone. That's what I run on my Yamaha. Wingstuff has a good price. The only ones I found to beat them did so by only $14.00 for the pair.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I couldn't stand the noise. I tried, but with my tinnitus it was too overwhelming. I'm a car tire rider for medical reasons.
May I borrow your prescription for the car tire......
:p
Mark

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Are you ready for a refill ? Mark. I might be ready to try a 205 next year.
Not yet Lee, The last time I bought one I ordered 2...one for back stock. Plus It's the same size as my wife's Corolla. So I'm good! I was just being funny.

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Not yet Lee, The last time I bought one I ordered 2...one for back stock. Plus It's the same size as my wife's Corolla. So I'm good! I was just being funny.

Mark
Stop joking! This is serious s*** we are doing here on the forum. You still like the 205 for the ride ? Any discernible rub marks in the wheel well ? I like meaty tires.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Stop joking! This is serious s*** we are doing here on the forum. You still like the 205 for the ride ? Any discernible rub marks in the wheel well ? I like meaty tires.
We're never satisfied are we? 195 rides like a caddy.....Why? Why?

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Because it looks good. It's big , bold and leaves a big footprint. But if it doesn't come in a Run Flat I'll have to pass.
But if you do it, I will have to:eek:

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
But if you do it, I will have to:eek:
EFINREF. I have raised you since you were a pup. You are a big dog now and to see you out on your own tootling around the country makes me proud. To question me or my motives just reinforces the independent thinking I have tried to instill in you.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
EFINREF. I have raised you since you were a pup. You are a big dog now and to see you out on your own tootling around the country makes me proud. To question me or my motives just reinforces the independent thinking I have tried to instill in you.
Says the Alpha Dog...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.