Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here and to be honest just came to find some info to help a friend with his wing. The starter had been giving him problems. It only worked whenthe motor was cool. He bought a new starter and same thing. It will not turn the motor over once it is warmed up. The motor is fine, no oveheating or anything. Any ideas as to where to start? Thanks
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
What year of Wing? Any noises once warmed up?

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
check the starter clutch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a little more info. It is an 84. If bike is cold it starts great and will run good for as long as he wants to ride. When he tries to restart the starter tries to spin but cannot spin the motor over. Lights dim and the whole works. My initial thought was a sticking advancer or some timing issue.

Starter clutch. I have been researching this line and everyone seems to have the opposite problem. Clutch will not engage and starter just spins. Does what I am describing happen with those as well?

THANKS!
Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Howdy! '84, huh? Close enough! Have you thoroughly inspected the starter solenoid and main fuse, on the right side of the battery (on my '85) in a cute little rubber "basket"? It's probably not the problem, but it's the heart of that (and ALL) circuits, so worth a good checkout and cleaning. Check how warm/hot the starter solenoid gets after running a bit. My switch stuck closed in Sturgis and it fried the terminal block, which is not a good thing.:(

·
Registered
668 Posts
keep it simple check all of your connections at the battery and check the charging system the battery may have a bad cell so check that as well, ignition timing will cause this so check it also. make sure to check all the grounds. if you can report back to us with your findings and we will help you until its resolved

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Wayne,
I had simular problem on my VTX, would not restart after stops on poker run. It would start ok when cold, found battery was bad. Wouldn't be nice if it was that simple.

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
I think you will find it a fairly common problem with the 1200. You need to make sure that the battery is getting a good charge.
Try this: Go for a short ride to get it hot and return home. Conect a volt metre to the battery and see how low the battery drops to when attempting to start. If the battery drops below 9 volts your starter has not got a chance to start it.
I have a 84 wing and have put an extra earth (ground) from the - battery terminal to a bolt close to the starter to give a good earth when starting. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Read and heed Eric's words: The Hoon is wise in all things GL1200!:p

[Even if he IS given to wild exaggerations about his fuel economy!:D]

For some reason "binding" of hot parts keeps sticking in my mind about your problem. But first step is to eliminate the more likely electrical charging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts