Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a real cream puff; an immaculate 2004 Honda Helix. Driving up to Oklahoma City next week to pick it up. Ever since I had several Burgman Maxiscooters I've been wanting to get another scooter. The Helix is a classic and this one is in show room condition and recently had fuel system freshened up with new fuel tank and carb serviced by a Honda dealer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,687 Posts
Nice looking find Dan. Had a couple show up here at a chapter meeting from down shouth some place. He was on a Wing and she was riding a a Helix. Had it set up with a CB, he said she didn't have any trouble keeping up.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron. I ride with a local scooter club and there's a few Helix's that ride with us too and they keep up just fine too. When I lead I'm usually going about 65 and that seems good for group riding. My Wing with the Tow Pac gets about 32 mpg so 65mpg with the Helix looks mighty good for riding around town. I like the older retro look too and folks say the seat is real comfy like the Wing. These scoots have a big following and parts are cheap and easy to find. Ought to be a nice addition to my MC fleet. If I keep this up I might catch up to Doc in about 20 years.

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
You've already caught up with me! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Put a GoldWing decal on the windshield and come ride with us. Congrats, Dan. Enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
congrats dan, them helix scooters really get up and go

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:Dance02::Dance02:Thanks all. Had a hard time making up my mind between a Helix and the 250 Elite. Same motor but way different body style and sitting ergonomics and cost. Could get an Elite for way less but Honda only made for 2 years whereas the Helix had a 21 year run from 1986 to 2007. Consequently parts are easy to find for the Helix but not so for the Elite. The Helix also is 14" longer and the wheelbase is an inch longer than the Goldwing making for an extremely comfortable ride. It also has a rear trunk whereas the Elite had no storage due to a vertical engine. The Helix has a front disc/rear drum whereas the Elite has both front/rear drum brakes. The Helix has a 3.1 gal. gas tank with a range of 220 miles and the Elite has a 2.1 gal. tank with a 130 mile range. And lastly the Helix (later models) have aluminum wheels whereas the Elite has steel. Oh, and the Helix has a slightly higher top speed of 75 mph whereas the Elite is 70. From my research too, the Helix can be run comfortably and safely at top speed all day long whereas the Elite is a little unstable at top speed due to the Vespa like sitting angle and short wheel base. Gosh with all those comparisons written down here this makes my choice even clearer which one to pick. Besides, the Elite I was looking at is a 1986 model and the Helix is a 2004. The 18 years difference in age and for only a 700.00 price difference was also a major tipping point. Now the wait until Thursday to go pick it up. I've got to drive 700 miles to Oklahoma City (round trip) to get it. Another scooter adventure in the making.

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
Good luck Dan and I;m going to slide this thread over to "Other Motorcycles" forum in light of your review.

·
Super Moderator
10,044 Posts
As I get "older" those max scooters look more attractive to me... Nice find...

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
I like scooters too; even the Ruckus. Well the ads anyway...and we've already seen the display for the newest Honda scooter from that meeting I went to in Toronto....
That's a sweet looking little scoot Dan.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like scooters too; even the Ruckus. Well the ads anyway...and we've already seen the display for the newest Honda scooter from that meeting I went to in Toronto....
That's a sweet looking little scoot Dan.
No, I like your scooter pic better Daryl. Actually I never got the scooter as my wife dropped the hammer and said one bike is enough. Still trying to figure out how to overcome her objection. :sad:

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try; Please; pretty Please. Never works for me but it might for you.:nah:
Ron, my wife is the money keeper and I'm the money spender. Probably a good balance other wise I'd have allot more toys. Part of me feels selfish to have such desires and the other part of me really enjoys it. I have this inner struggle between frugality and personal fulfillment. Maybe if they named bikes like the "Frugal" or "Cheapo" and painted it flat black my wife might be more inclined to let me have another one.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tonight my wife handed me the cash to get a Maxi Scooter, a 2006 Piaggio BV 250. Headed to Houston tomorrow to pick up. Pics forthcoming. Pretty excited about getting another scooter. Ever since I sold my Suzuki Burgman 400 I've wanted another. Pretty cool getting a scooter with 16" wheels that can hit 80 mph and still get 70 mpg. Of course I still have my GL 1500 for road trips and riding two up with Deb.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.