Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,My new front speakers just arrived for my 99'1500.I'm hoping I'll have better sound now.Can anyone tell me the steps I need to go through to pull out the old ones? Thanks!:confused:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
You have to remove the instrument panel: first the top compartment,rearview mirrors and w/s adjust lever, headlight adjust knob, fresh air outers, and then set w/s at the top position and remove w/s garnish. Then the instrument panel should come off. Take out the four speaker mounting screws and disconnect the speaker leads. If you have an SE model, you also have to remove the exhaust pipe protector lid opener.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Budoka is right.

Couple of minute details if you aren't accustomed. The two twisy knobs, one each close to each mirror (1 to adjust headlight and 1 to open or close foot heater vent), there is a small screw in the side. small phillips head to remove. I would lay a towel or something is case it falls. Bugger to find or fish out between the cracks. Then remove the plastic nut either 17 or 19 mm wrench I think. be careful as there are rubber washers behind that may stick to one side or the other. You want to keep track of them for re install.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys! I've got the windshield,mirrors,knobs,off.Why is it necessary to remove the top compartment?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
'cause the shop manual says so:D Seriously I don't know, I never had to take my 1500's speakers out. There is usaully a reason, but sometimes there's shortcuts that long time wrenchers know about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinkin'the only reason to pull the top compartment is because of the wiring harness from the radio/cassette deck to the instument panel.Because I'm stuborn I'll have to see if I can skip this step.Seems like alot of work to change two speakers!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Billy,

I was just tearing back into mine, looking for electrical issue.
You are right, you don't have to pull it.
I am guessing but a part of my job is writing technical instructions for others to follow so I think I see there perspective.
I think they have you doing this because there is considerable risk to break those little tabs that connect the dashboard to the top panel. As you pull the dashboard up and out, this could be overlooked and then you are making a trip back to the dealer for those 2 side covers going around the handlebars.

You are probably a very capable individual but on top of that, you are working on your bike and in this case, you are being very careful as time is not an issue. When writing instructions, you have to know that not everyone is above average, you have to look out for the least of them to make each repair a success.

Congrats, sounds like you are on the ball and we will look to you for answers as well.

Just put in 4 new speakers myself and WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW, it's jammin'!!!

Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did it! The new front speakers are installed!They sound better,but I honestly can't say I'm blown away by the difference. These are J&M's for about $60,so I guess I got what I paid for.I used Clymers' guide,but I didn't have to remove the top compartment and tape deck,so that saved me some work.The hardest part was popping out the upper vents-I was able to push the tabs out from the front of the bike by using a long flatblade and a flashlight to look through the holes normally covered by the windshield garnish.The vents have four plastic tabs built right on them.Anyway its all back together and sounds ok.Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Although the new speakers will make a difference, much of what you hear is driven by the audio system. If I remember correctly, the audio system is about 40 watts on the 99 Wings. Also, acoustically, a bike is not the best for audio sound reproduction... Enjoy your new speakers and ride safe...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts