Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Not really new but have been gone for about a decade already.

I'm looking at a 1994 GL1500 SE that appears to be in excellent condition with 148k miles on it. i sold my last 2 when they hit 125k only as an excuse to buy a new one. Question for all is the guy who has it is the second owner 2 years or so and doesn't have any maintenance records from the previous owner. All he's had to do is the usual preventive stuff. Is there anything that the 1994's had as gremlins or areas that need special scruntiny?

thanks
RB

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Welcome. There isn't anything in particular for the 94s. I would change the timing belts and filters.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Like Cantankerous said, change fluids +oil and filter) and belts, Check the tires for cracks and the brakes and you should be good to go. Lots of Wings out there with 200k+ miles on them..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More on a new possible ride!

I appreciate the warm welcome and it's nice to be back. If i was 10 years younger I'd tackle the belts myself. What's a job like that cost these days. I haven't finished negotiating price yet but i think we can meet in the middle around $4500. Any thoughts there?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
I appreciate the warm welcome and it's nice to be back. If i was 10 years younger I'd tackle the belts myself. What's a job like that cost these days. I haven't finished negotiating price yet but i think we can meet in the middle around $4500. Any thoughts there?
KBB shows 1994 SE in excellent condition at $5,800. Mileage is somewhat higher than they like, so your price seems in the ballpark.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
The belt replacement here is around $300.00, we did it on my friends bike for under $50.00 by buying the belts at NAPA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's not to bad to have my local shop do the work and then they can back it up as well. It may end up being a moot point on this bike anyway because the current owner is trying to get a bidding war going on it since there is a couple 2 or 3 of us looking at it. I'm not gonna play that game, if you advertise a certain price then it's fine to be firm on it but if ya want an auction put it on Ebay.
The beauty of wanting a Bike vs. Needing a Bike.

Also ,i'm sure it's not an issue especially after this many years but i read that some of the early 1990's 150's had troubles with 4th gear? Any truth to that and does anybody know what the complaint was?

Thanks for all your input!

RB

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
806 Posts
Also ,i'm sure it's not an issue especially after this many years but i read that some of the early 1990's 150's had troubles with 4th gear? Any truth to that and does anybody know what the complaint was?

Thanks for all your input!

RB
I have a '91 Aspy and haven't had any problems with 4th gear.
Strat

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
helloo sdspeed, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome to here! No issues with 4th gear that I have heard of; maybe an alternator upgrade would be considered, but that's about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well this bike is back in-play. I mentioned the timing belts and lack of maint. history. He's had it 2 years but has only put 3000 of the 145k plus miles that are on it. He said he'd consider having timing belts put on it if he doesn't end up selling it soon. It's a 1994 SE and I've been seeing several 1999 SE going for a grand or so more with half the mileage .So with the season widing down in a lot of parts of the country I may wait it out and keep looking.

Still appreciate all the input.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts