Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an option of buying a new stock GL1500 seat that is local to me for $150. I need to replace mine due to a rip in the leather so I have been looking around for awhile.

I had originally planned on going with a Road Sofa at a cost of around $600. (price makes the wife faint)

I also need to replace suspension and the windshield which will total about $500.

For those that have a Road Sofa, is it that much of an upgrade to a new stock seat? Saving $450 and putting that towards other upgrades is very tempting, however I don't want to be wasting $150 on a temporary fix if the stock seat is going to suck just as bad in a couple of months.

Any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Here's an Ole Fossil's opinion on the subject.

If in fact the seat for 150 is "New" & that is what your budget is then do that. The seat will last many many miles with care.

If you are looking for comfort then Buy an aftermarket. My 1500 had a bad seat when I bought it. I did not put a Road Sofa on but I put on a Hartco w/Backrest. Was the best thing I did for comfort. There are lots of threads on the site talking about Airhawks & WalMart Gel pads & all sorts of seat options to make the stock seat more comfortable. There is also a reason This Ole Fossil doesn't render an opinion to those topics & that is best summed up in one word.

HARTCO!

Don't leave home without it.

I'm sure others will state their position on the subject but this would be mine.

Good Luck with the decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my opinion, you have to look at decisions like this in a practical way. If you have plenty of cash budgeted for all of these goodies, go for it. But, if you have limited funds and can't afford to buy it all at once, look at each item with a view to safety first.

Obviously if your suspension is shot, that's gotta be a 'must have'. A bad suspension can cause an accident. If your windshield is cracked, broken, or so cloudy you can't see through it, it's also a 'must have'. Poor visibility is asking for trouble. The seat is strictly a comfort/appearance issue and falls in a category of 'nice to have'. Even with a tear in the leather, you can patch it and use it for a while. Save up for a seat that really suits you. I ride on a custom seat and I can tell you that it's worth waiting for. Believe me, there will still be deals around once you have sufficient funds to buy. I drove a Virago 750 for months back in the '80s with duct tape on the seat where the vinyl had rotted. It was ugly but functional.

Your first priority needs to be keeping your ride safe. Once that's covered, then you can make it pretty and comfortable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything to do with the bike is purely a comfort thing. The bike is in sound mechanical shape, however, whenever I get a new bike, the first thing I do is set up suspension to my liking. So while its not necessary, it is something I want done for personal taste.

The windshield is ok but the buffeting is getting to me. Want something taller to try and eliminate that. Looking at slipstreamers which cost about a buck.

The seats rip is more of a seam that came apart. Was repaired with duct tape which melts in the sun everyday its out. Looks really bad but it functions. I have the gel seat pad form walmart as well. That made it tolerable.

I am not afraid to put money into the bike, I just have to be reasonable about it and pace myself.

I have looked at the Hartco seats but can't seem to find much info. Their site doesn't like prices but I have read that they usually start around $850. Thats out of my range. The Roadsofa with gel can be had for just under $600 so that is why I was leaning that way.

Getting the new OEM seat would mainly be just for cosmetic purposes but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a waste.

Now if I can just find one of those Hartco used somewhere...

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
If you can afford it, go for the Saddleman Road Sofa. I switched my 98 GL1500 seat with one after 3 years. I never really had a big problem with the stock seat, but what a difference the Road Sofa made. I did quite a few 600+ mile days and even a 725 mile day in that saddle. It lowered me down about 1 inch and had a higher back support which helped me a lot. I also got the driver backrest, but kept the stock passenger rest, just a new saddleman cover.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Here's an Ole Fossil's opinion on the subject.

If in fact the seat for 150 is "New" & that is what your budget is then do that. The seat will last many many miles with care.

If you are looking for comfort then Buy an aftermarket. My 1500 had a bad seat when I bought it. I did not put a Road Sofa on but I put on a Hartco w/Backrest. Was the best thing I did for comfort. There are lots of threads on the site talking about Airhawks & WalMart Gel pads & all sorts of seat options to make the stock seat more comfortable. There is also a reason This Ole Fossil doesn't render an opinion to those topics & that is best summed up in one word.

HARTCO!

Don't leave home without it.

I'm sure others will state their position on the subject but this would be mine.

Good Luck with the decision.
Anyone who takes a cross-country trip like the one Fossil took last year is most certainly an authority on seats! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you like the stock seat? Is it comfortable for you & the missus?
If so, go that route. If not, good luck.
I've had good luck with a Corbin on a Valkyrie & 1500 Wing. Liked Hartco & Diamond on another couple of 1500 trikes.
On my 1800, I bought an "Ultimate". Some swear by them, I swear at it. Very uncomfortable to me. Sold it & am now back to stock. Looking at a Corbin & a Diamond for Big Folk.
Good luck with whichever way you go.
Now, if you're a young man, you should be able to ride a 2X4. Us old farts are the ones that need help.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I'm with Jim Mc. When I was younger I could ride all day on anything and think I'm having fun, today I require a little more creature comfort. That's the reason for the Goldwing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts