Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 06 wing , everything felt ok , until I took a ride on the highway. After about 10 minutes, my knees and hips started to really ache. I assumed it was just getting used to the feel of a new bike, but after 2 months things didn't get any better. I assumed it was the std. footpegs that come stock, so I purchased the floorboards, still no better. Someone in this forum mentioned it might be the seat. I think he's right. When I'm sitting on the wing I feel like my feet are too far back(or my ass too far front), as I have a hard time even using the back break, with out my knees hurrting even more. It's like I'm really cramped the way I sit.I'm sure if I could be sitting 4-6'' futher back, everything would be ok. I've seen some ads for custom seats, $6-700. Has any wing man experienced the same problem i have , and did a new custom seat help? Where did you get the seat from? I decided to sell the wing , but now getting another seat is another option .
thanks ;dean

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I bought a Saddleman Road Sofa for my GL1500 and loved it. You can search this and other GW forums and find out what others are using. Sometimes if you look in the "for sale" forum you can find someone who is selling a "slightly" used seat for a good price.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
seat

Those darned seats are a racket for sure. My knees get sore if I dont streach them out every 20 min for 5 min or so, so I got Hi way pegs. With these, I can streach way out and all muscles take a break.

I wfitted my seat with shearling wool and it is very comfortable. It never rains here, I havn't had the thrill of sitting on it through a downpour yet

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
deanw: Do you have Highway Pegs ? What's your inseam size ? Measure with a tape ruler with your boots on. Our Australian rider Wing Down Under is 6'4" and working on the highway pegs right now.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I had good luck with Corbin seats on my two previous bikes (neither of them Wings) but others will refute my testimonies to Corbin. I'm all but convinced only a one-off custom seat is the only real answer, but there's big $$ involved and a lengthy wait. do your homework and lots of research. I'm lucky, I'm a very average size and the stock seat is just fine (for now anyway).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Deanw

At 6'5" I experienced the same pains when I got my wing a couple of months ago. I added highway pegs and use them most of the time now- this helps a great deal.
Going down to Russell seats on the 28th to have them build a seat, these guys have a great reputation and hopefully can give me a seat I can ride on all day. I will post once I get it done. They are not the cheapest solution but no more than corbin, ultimate or some of the others and the seat is built for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try "google" - ultimateseat.com They make a custom seat for Goldwings. I have tried them out at Myrtle Beach bike week and they are very comfortable. However, I think they are a bit pricey but it's worth taking a look.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The GW is meant for the rider to sit jockey style. I like the highway pegs to shift my feet to another position every once in a while. I think if you tried stretching your legs and hips, the ride will eventually get better.

The upright, jockey position is good for those sudden emergency stops/manuevers. But, don't underestimate the benefits of stretching. Have fun riding!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Not many people will say the stock 1800 seat is comfortable, but the only way to find a seat that you will be satified with is to get out and sit on some. I'm sure that you have some sort of Gold wing group near you that you would be able to see who has what and wouldn't mind at least a quick test fit. What may work for one person may not work for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts